1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictionless collision problem

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    not even sure where to start on this one

Consider the following frictionless collision: Mass A (60 kg) moves west at 5.00 m/s and mass B (20 kg) moves south at 20 m/s. They collide and stick together.

1.) what are the magnitude and the direction of their velocity after they stick together? Give sketch and angle.

2.) Is any kinetic energy lost in the collision? If so how much?

3.) Is this an elastic collision? why or why not?

thanks for the help everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2004 #2
    well, according to my physics book:

Elastic Collision: One in which the total kinetic energy of the system after the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy before the collision.

Inelastic Collision: One in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not the same before and after the collision; if the objects stick together after colliding, the collision is said to be completely inelastic.

so...i think that should answer your 2nd and 3rd questions...i'd help with the first, but i'm pretty sure i'd screw that up, lol. I hope this helps. :eek:)

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3
    can any one else help with the 1st one?

5. Oct 27, 2004 #4
    nvr mind i got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?