Solve Frictionless Drift Physics Problem: Angle of Inclination

In summary: Then find the angle of the slope.In summary, a physics student playing with an air hockey table (a frictionless surface) found that a puck with an initial velocity of 5.70 m/s along the length of the table (2.28 m) drifted 5.78 cm to the right by the time it reached the other end of the table. After correctly calculating the time, velocity, and acceleration of the drift, the student was able to determine the angle of inclination of the table using the standard constant acceleration equations and the component of gravity down a slope. The calculated angle was determined to be 0.7225 m/s², resulting in an angle of inclination of approximately 4.145 degrees.
KonigGeist

Homework Statement

A physics student playing with an air hockey table (a frictionless surface) finds that if she gives the puck a velocity of 5.70 m/s along the length (2.28 m) of the table at one end, by the time it has reached the other end the puck has drifted 5.78 cm to the right but still has a velocity component along the length of 5.70 m/s. She correctly concludes that the table is not level and correctly calculates its inclination from the above information. What is the angle of inclination?

Homework Equations

d = v * t
v2 = v02 + 2a(y-y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

A)Calculate the time using d = v * t:
t = d / v = 2.28 / 5.7 = 0.4s

B)Calculate the velocity of the drift using d = v * t:
v = d / t = 0.0578 / 0.4 = 0.1445m/s

C)Calculate the y-travel of the drift:
y = v2/2a = 0.14452 / 2(9.8) = 0.001065 m

D)Calculate angle a using tangent
sin(a) = 0.0578 / 0.001065
a = sin-1(0.001065 / 0.0578)

I've been working on this problem for several hours, but I haven't been able to get it. I have a feeling that I'm making a mistake somewhere, but I had two of my physics major friends look at it and they get the same answer as me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi KonigGeist! Welcome to PF! :smile:
KonigGeist said:
B)Calculate the velocity of the drift using d = v * t:

No, you need to calculate the acceleration using one of the standard constant acceleration equations. :wink:

I see what you mean. I remember thinking about the acceleration when I first started, but I guess I forgot. :redface:
If I calculated the acceleration using x=x0 + v0t + 1 / 2at2:

a = 2x / t2 = 2(0.0578) / (0.4)2 = 0.7225 m / s2

Is this correct?
From here, how would I find the angle? Do I need to calculate the y distance, or can I relate the velocities, or something else entirely?

Hi KonigGeist! :wink:

Yes. that looks ok. :smile:

Now compare that acceleration with the component of gravity down a slope. :wink:

Can you help me?

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have the right approach, but there are a couple of mistakes in your calculations.

First, in part B, when calculating the velocity of the drift, you should use the total distance traveled by the puck (5.78 cm) instead of the length of the table (2.28 m). So the correct calculation should be v = 0.0578 / 0.4 = 0.1445 m/s.

Second, in part C, when calculating the y-travel of the drift, you have used the wrong formula. The correct formula to use is y = v^2 / 2a, where v is the velocity of the drift and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So the correct calculation should be y = (0.1445)^2 / (2 * 9.8) = 0.001065 m.

Finally, in part D, you are using the wrong trigonometric function. The correct formula to use is tan(a) = 0.0578 / 0.001065, which gives us an angle of approximately 3.08 degrees.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Remember to always double-check your calculations and use the correct formulas. Good luck!

1. What is the meaning of "frictionless drift" in a physics problem?

Frictionless drift refers to the motion of an object without any resistance from friction. This means that the object is moving without any external forces acting upon it, and its motion is solely determined by its own inertia.

2. How do you calculate the angle of inclination in a frictionless drift physics problem?

The angle of inclination can be calculated by using the formula tanθ = v2/gR, where v is the velocity of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the circular path that the object is following.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving a frictionless drift physics problem?

Some key factors to consider when solving a frictionless drift physics problem are the initial velocity of the object, the angle of inclination, the mass of the object, and the radius of the circular path it is following. These factors will influence the object's motion and must be taken into account in the calculations.

4. Can the angle of inclination in a frictionless drift physics problem ever be negative?

No, the angle of inclination in a frictionless drift physics problem cannot be negative. This is because the tangent function, which is used to calculate the angle, only produces positive values. Negative values would not make sense in the context of circular motion.

5. What is the significance of the angle of inclination in a frictionless drift physics problem?

The angle of inclination is significant because it determines the direction of the object's motion and the magnitude of its velocity. It also affects the centripetal force required to keep the object in circular motion and the amount of work required to move the object along its path.