Frictionless inclined plane help

In summary, the conversation discusses two bodies, A and B, arriving at the base of a frictionless inclined plane with equal momenta of magnitude p and masses mb=3ma. The question is posed about the ratio of the maximum distance Db that B travels up the plane to the maximum distance Da that A travels up the plane. The answer is determined through using the equations of p=mv and v=d/t, and discussing the relationship between velocity and distance, as well as using the equation Vf2 = Vi2 + 2*a*x to determine the effect on distance when the velocity is three times larger. The correct answer is Db = 1/3Da.
remaan
Need Help !

Homework Statement

Two bodies, A and B arrive at the base of a fricitonless inclined plane with equla momenta of magnitude p. mb=3ma. The ratio of the max. distance Db that B travels up the plane to the max. distance Da the A travels up the plane is : Db=Da ? is that correct ?

Homework Equations

p=mv
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure I subs. back and then cancled every thing and that was the result.

Physics news on Phys.org

remaan said:
Two bodies, A and B arrive at the base of a fricitonless inclined plane with equla momenta of magnitude p. mb=3ma. The ratio of the max. distance Db that B travels up the plane to the max. distance Da the A travels up the plane is : Db=Da ? is that correct ?

p=mv
v=d/t

I am not sure I subs. back and then cancled every thing and that was the result.

If the momentum is equal and one mass is 3 times the other what does it say about the relationship of their speeds?

In fact, there is no thing about the speed, I typed the question as it is ..

Thank you

remaan said:
In fact, there is no thing about the speed, I typed the question as it is ..

Thank you

You don't need to know the absolute speed of either. But you do know something about their relative speeds as a consequence of knowing they have the same momentum.

Sorry, I didn't get you, would you tell a bit more ?

Last edited:

remaan said:
Sorry, I didn't get you, would you tell a bit more ?

You know momentum is the same. But the masses are different. That means the speeds are different.

So how are the speeds different?

Well, then what does it has to do with their distances ?
Do you mean to say that will different distances as a result of that?

Or,, in other words how to prove that?

remaan said:
Well, then what does it has to do with their distances ?
Do you mean to say that will different distances as a result of that?

Or,, in other words how to prove that?

You think something that is slower at the bottom of a ramp will go as far as something that is faster?

I guarantee that it will not.

Regardless of the mass, the acceleration from gravity down the ramp is the same whether slow or fast. So clearly then something going faster will go farther. It's simple kinematics.

It is a muliple choisse ques. We have to choose one and prove it

Her are the choises:
Db=1/9Da

Db=1/3Da

Db=Da

Db=3Da

Db=9Da

I thought about the 3rd choise because of the equal mometom, and I am not sure, What do you think? and how to prove ?

LowlyPion said:
You think something that is slower at the bottom of a ramp will go as far as something that is faster?

I guarantee that it will not.

Regardless of the mass, the acceleration from gravity down the ramp is the same whether slow or fast. So clearly then something going faster will go farther. It's simple

kinematics.

How did you know that one is faster? The question says that they will go down the incline with we know which is the faster?

remaan said:
How did you know that one is faster? The question says that they will go down the incline with we know which is the faster?

Momentum P is a constant

P = Ma*Va = Mb*Vb

And you know that Mb = 3*Ma

So what must Va be relative to Vb ?

Yes, what am trying to do is exactky same to what you did, but I think that their velocities will be the same and therefore the distance will be the same?

ISn't it?

remaan said:
Yes, what am trying to do is exactky same to what you did, but I think that their velocities will be the same and therefore the distance will be the same?

ISn't it?

No. Why are you resistant to just doing the math? Substitute 3*Ma for Mb. What does that tell you about the velocities?

Or do you think that I should use conservation of energy?

Or I choose the second choise

remaan said:
Or do you think that I should use conservation of energy?

Or I choose the second choise

I think you should just do the math and get the right answer.

I will get equal velocities and then equal distancse
Right?

Please, I getting confused more and more ...

The question is asking about the distances not the velocities..

??

I will get equal velocities and then, what math do mean ??
Do mean that v=d/t ?? What has to do with gravitation

remaan said:
I will get equal velocities and then equal distancse
Right?

The answer is no. You do not get the same velocities. You keep repeating that and it's still no.

The momentum is the same.
The masses are different.
The velocities MUST be different.

I've written the equations. I've suggested what to substitute to solve for what the velocity must be.

What I won't do is just give you the answer.

Do you mean that we will subs. of the masses after we write the equation you just gave me..
And then we get that
Vb= 1/3 Va

and Now, do we use that v=d/t to find the distance?

Thank you :)

remaan said:
Do you mean that we will subs. of the masses after we write the equation you just gave me..
And then we get that
Vb= 1/3 Va

and Now, do we use that v=d/t to find the distance?

Thank you :)

Almost. Now that you know what the velocity is, and you understand that acceleration (actually deceleration) down the incline is the same then how will that velocity difference translate into the distance until it stops going higher?

The equation for that is

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2*a*x

Note that a is -, and Vf is where it reaches 0.

What is the effect in x, when V is 3 times larger?

Ok, x will be larger.

And I will sub. vi with its values for A and B

I will get this equation:
va-2gda=3vb=-2gdb

Right?

And I will get equal distances after cancelling the velo. and -2g ??

Right?

Last edited:

remaan said:
Ok, x will be larger.

And I will sub. vi with its values for A and B

I will get this equation:
va-2gda=3vb=-2gdb

Right?

And I will get equal distances after cancelling the velo. and -2g ??

Right?

No.

The acceleration up the incline is not g. It is a function of g and the angle of the incline. It is sufficient that it is constant in both cases.

What that means then is that V2 is proportional to the distance.

So if you have one distance x determined by V, then if you have another V' = 3*V then the effect on distance x' will be (3*V)2

I think that I am getting closer to the answer.. :eek:

I end up with is this equation :

vi^2 = 2 a x

And after subs. with velo. of A and B I can't find any relations between their distances when going up the incline.

Try dividing the two equations for velocity by each other then.

That makes me GLAD .. :smile:

I got Db=3Da

Right??

remaan said:
That makes me GLAD .. :smile:

I got Db=3Da

Right??

Let's see.

Va2 = 2*a*xa

Vb2 = 2*a*xb

Dividing one by the other:

Va2/Vb2 = xa/xb

Do you want to try again?

That's Great.. :smile::smile::smile:

I did the math and I get the Db = 1/9 Da ..

Is that Right?? WooooW !

remaan said:
That's Great.. :smile::smile::smile:

I did the math and I get the Db = 1/9 Da ..

Is that Right?? WooooW !

Yes. Mb is 3 times the mass of Ma.

That means that Vb is 1/3 Va

... and Db is 1/9 of Da

Thanks aloooooooooooot
Finally, I am done with this problem ..

You are a great TEACHER :D

See in my next ques.

Good- bye

1. What is a frictionless inclined plane?

A frictionless inclined plane is a theoretical concept used in physics to simplify the calculation of forces and motion on an inclined surface. It assumes that there is no resistance or friction between the plane and the object moving on it.

2. How does friction affect motion on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can slow down or stop an object moving on an inclined plane. However, on a frictionless inclined plane, there is no resistance, so the object will continue to move with a constant velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of an object on a frictionless inclined plane?

The formula for calculating acceleration on a frictionless inclined plane is a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of inclination of the plane.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the motion on a frictionless inclined plane?

The steeper the angle of inclination, the faster the object will accelerate down the plane. This is because a steeper angle means a larger component of the force of gravity is acting in the direction of motion.

5. Is a frictionless inclined plane a realistic concept?

No, a frictionless inclined plane is a theoretical concept used for simplification in physics problems. In reality, there will always be some amount of friction present on an inclined plane, although it can be minimized through the use of smooth surfaces and lubricants.