What is the tension in the string for a frictionless pulley-incline system?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the acceleration and tension in a system involving two packing crates connected by a string over a frictionless pulley. The individual mentions correctly calculating the acceleration to be 3.0126, but struggling to find the tension using different formulas. Another person suggests using the formula T= m1(g-a) and provides the answer of 67.9N. The conversation also touches upon the idea of equilibrium and checking their answers online.
physics1234
Two packing crates of masses m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 7.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley. The 7.00 kg crate lies on a smooth incline of angle 43.0°. Find the acceleration of the 7.00 kg crate up the incline. Find the tension in the string.

I found the acceleration (correctly) to be 3.0126 but I can't seem to get the tension part of the question. I tried the formula T=(m2)(g)(sinTHETA)+(m2)(a) using 7(3.0126)sin43+7(3.0126) and 10(3.0126)sin43+10(3.0126) but neither gave the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be oversimplifying it a bit but shouldn't f=ma work?

What would you use as the mass? 98 isn't the right answer.

Well, I'm just wondering on this one...but isn't the T of the string that is holding the block on the incline equal to the T of the string holding the hanging block?

So how would you figure out T on the hanging block?

well no because theyre moving theyre not in equilibrium, i assume?

just write out how you got the accel so we can see how ur goin about this as i agree with ur workin for T so maybe accel is wrong? ( i know you said you got it right but just check)

Last edited:
Wouldn't they be moving in equilibrium? The string is not growing shrining, they are just shifting arent they?

I got the acceleration by a= (m2-m1sinTHETA/m1+m2)g so it was (10-7sin43/17)(9.8) = 3.0126

We can check to see if we got them right on the internet so that's definitely the right answer, i just can't figure out the second part.

physics1234 said:
I got the acceleration by a= (m2-m1sinTHETA/m1+m2)g so it was (10-7sin43/17)(9.8) = 3.0126

We can check to see if we got them right on the internet so that's definitely the right answer, i just can't figure out the second part.

try using the equation T= m1(g-a) = (10.0kg)[(9.80 - 3.0126) m/s^2] = 67.9N

i'm sure that's right cause i just did the same problem for hw.
good luck :cool:

1. What is a frictionless pulley-incline system?

A frictionless pulley-incline system is a simple machine that consists of a pulley attached to an incline. The pulley allows a force to be redirected, while the incline changes the direction of the force acting on an object.

2. How does a frictionless pulley-incline system work?

In a frictionless pulley-incline system, the weight of an object on one side of the pulley is balanced by the weight of a counterweight on the other side. This results in a balanced force, allowing the object to move up or down the incline with minimal effort.

3. What are the advantages of using a frictionless pulley-incline system?

A frictionless pulley-incline system has several advantages, such as reducing the amount of force needed to move an object, increasing efficiency, and minimizing wear and tear on the system. It also allows for smooth and controlled movement of objects.

4. Are there any limitations to a frictionless pulley-incline system?

One limitation of a frictionless pulley-incline system is that it can only handle loads that are within the weight limit of the pulley and incline. It may also experience some slippage if the angle of the incline is too steep or the pulley is not properly aligned.

5. How is a frictionless pulley-incline system used in real life?

A frictionless pulley-incline system is commonly used in various industries, such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. It is also used in everyday objects, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in experiments and demonstrations to study the principles of motion and force.