Frictionless Pulley Question

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood's machine with a load of 15.0 kg and a counterweight of 28.0 kg, released from rest. The magnitude of the upward acceleration of the load can be found by using the equation F=ma and taking the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80 m/s^2. The tension in the rope while the load is moving can be calculated by adding the weights of the two masses.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

Atwood's Machine. A load of bricks with mass m_1 = 15.0 kg hangs from one end of a rope that passes over a small, frictionless pulley. A counterweight of mass m_2 = 28.0 kg is suspended from the other end of the rope, as shown in the figure. The system is released from rest.

yf_Figure_05_47.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

I really don't know what to do for this one. So far, I just calculated the weight of each masses.

Mass 1 Weight = -147N (15)(-9.8)

Mass 2 Weight = -274.4N (28)(-9.8)

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question you are supposed to answer?

Sorry, I have a bad habit of not posting the questions now for some odd reason.

What is the magnitude of the upward acceleration of the load of bricks?
Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

What is the tension in the rope while the load is moving?
Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

The upward acceleration of the bricks will be the same as the downward acceleration of the counterweight. Seems to me that the difference between the two weights is important somehow.

For the tension in the rope, I would think the weights add.

1. What is a frictionless pulley?

A frictionless pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is designed to reduce friction and enable the movement of objects with minimal resistance.

2. How does a frictionless pulley work?

A frictionless pulley works by distributing the weight of an object evenly, allowing it to move smoothly and with minimal effort. The rope or belt that runs along the pulley changes the direction of the force applied, making it easier to lift or move the object.

3. What are the advantages of using a frictionless pulley?

The main advantage of using a frictionless pulley is that it reduces the amount of force needed to move an object. This can be particularly useful when lifting heavy objects or when trying to conserve energy in a mechanical system. Additionally, frictionless pulleys also reduce wear and tear on the rope or belt, increasing its lifespan.

4. Are there any limitations to using a frictionless pulley?

While frictionless pulleys have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They can only reduce friction to a certain extent, and there will still be some resistance when moving an object. Additionally, they require proper alignment and tension of the rope or belt to work effectively.

5. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a frictionless pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a frictionless pulley can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the weight of the object being used to lift it. For example, if you are using a frictionless pulley to lift a 100-pound object and the rope supporting the object has a weight of 20 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 100/20 = 5.