Calculating Fridge Suction Force: Ideal Gas and Hermetic Door

In summary, when the door of the fridge is opened, the air inside the fridge reaches an uniform temperature of -8 ºC. However, when the door is closed and the fridge is in equilibrium with the outside atmosferic pressure, the air inside the fridge cools down until it reaches a temperature of -10 ºC. This is because the door of the fridge is completely hermetic and the pressure inside the fridge is the same as the atmospheric pressure.
cathode-ray

Homework Statement

Consider a fridge with a volume of 120L whose door has 0.8m of height and 0.5m of length. When the door is open there isn't a relevant change in the air quantity inside the fridge. However the temperature increases slightly.
Suppose that when the door is opened, the air inside the fridge reaches an uniform temperature of -8 ºC, and is in equilibrium with the outside atmosferic pressure. When the door is closed, the air inside the fridge cools down until it reaches a temperature of -10 ºC. The air inside the fridge is considered an ideal gas and the door of the fridge is completely hermetic.

Homework Equations

Calculate the force needed to reopen the door.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this problem :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cathode-ray! :smile:

hint: pressure :wink:

Hi tiny-tim!

I tried to think using your hint. However the result i get is still different from the one given in the solution, despite they are very close. I thought this way:

When the door is open the pressure applied to the air inside the fridge is the atmospheric pressure P=1.013E5 Pa. The volume is 120E-3 m^3, and the temperature is -8+273.15=265.15 K. Using the ideal gas law i get the number of moles of the air inside the fridge.

When the door is closed there are two forces with opposite directions applied to it: the pressure of the air inside the fridge and the atmospheric pressure. So the force needed to open the door is the difference between these two pressures times the area of the door. I again used the ideal gas law to calculate the pressure caused by the inner air, using the number of moles i got (n=5.514) and the temperature of -10+273.15=263.15K.

The finally result was F=320 N, but the solution is 306 N.

What am I doing wrong?

cathode-ray said:
When the door is closed there are two forces with opposite directions applied to it: the pressure of the air inside the fridge and the atmospheric pressure. So the force needed to open the door is the difference between these two pressures times the area of the door.

Your method looks correct :smile: (except you haven't taken account of the fact that the fridge door opens on a hinge) …

there must be a numerical error somewhere

Sorry for the time I took to answer.

I found out why it is different from the result of the solutions. The problem are the approximations. I tried different approximations and i got the result of the solutions.

Thanks for your help :smile:

1. What is the purpose of calculating fridge suction force?

The suction force in a fridge is responsible for keeping the door firmly sealed shut. By calculating this force, we can ensure that the fridge is functioning properly and that no warm air is leaking in, which can affect the overall temperature and efficiency of the fridge.

2. How is the ideal gas law used in calculating fridge suction force?

The ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is proportional to its temperature and the number of moles of gas, is used to calculate the suction force in a fridge. This is because the air inside the fridge is considered to be an ideal gas and follows this law.

3. What factors are involved in calculating fridge suction force?

The factors that are involved in calculating fridge suction force include the temperature and pressure inside the fridge, the surface area of the door, the number of moles of gas present, and the strength of the door seal. All of these factors play a role in determining the overall suction force.

4. How does the hermetic door affect the calculation of fridge suction force?

The hermetic door, which is airtight and prevents any air from escaping or entering the fridge, is a crucial factor in calculating the suction force. This is because the door seal needs to be strong enough to create a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the fridge, which results in the suction force.

5. Can the calculation of fridge suction force vary depending on the type of fridge?

Yes, the calculation of fridge suction force can vary depending on the type of fridge. Different types of fridges may have different door seals, temperatures, and pressure levels, which can affect the overall suction force. It is important to take these factors into account when calculating the suction force for a specific fridge model.