1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friedmann Equation

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By substituting in

[tex]\left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a_0} \right)^2 = H^2_0 \left(\Omega_0 \frac{a_0}{a} + 1 - \Omega_0 \right)[/tex]

show that the parametric open solution given by

[tex]a(\psi)=a_0 \frac{\Omega_0}{2(1-\Omega_0)}(\cosh{\psi} - 1)[/tex]

and

[tex]t(\psi)=\frac{1}{2H_0} \frac{\Omega_0}{(1 - \Omega_0)^{3/2}}(\sinh{\psi} - \psi)[/tex]

solve the Friedmann equation.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I get

[tex]\dot{a} = a_0 \frac{\Omega_0}{2(1 - \Omega_0)}(\dot{\psi}\sinh{\psi})[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{\psi}=\frac{2H_0(1-\Omega_0)^{3/2}}{\Omega_0(\cosh{\psi}-1)}[/tex]

but I can't get to the first equality. Is this the correct approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may find it easier to write [tex] \dot{a} = \frac{\frac{da}{d\psi}}{\frac{dt}{d\psi}} [/tex]. Dividing by [tex] a_0 [/tex] and squaring should leave you with some expression involving only [tex] \psi [/tex]. A little algebra is then all you need to re-express things in terms of [tex] a [/tex].

4. Jan 23, 2007 #3
    I get the right hand side to equal

[tex]H^2_0 \frac{2(1-\Omega_0}{\cosh{\psi}-1}[/tex]

and the LHS

[tex]H^2_0 \frac{(1-\Omega_0)\sinh^2{\psi}}{(\cosh{\psi}-1)^2}[/tex]

but I can't get them equal...

5. Jan 23, 2007 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with your second expression from computing da/dt, but I think you've made a mistake with your first expression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?