Solving Friedmann Equation w/ Friedmann Eqn Hmwk Stmt

It should be\dot{a} = \frac{a_0}{2(1-\Omega_0)}(\dot{\psi}\sinh{\psi})In summary, by substituting the given equations for a and t into the Friedmann equation and simplifying, it can be shown that they do indeed solve the equation. However, there may be some algebra involved in arriving at the final result.
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

By substituting in

[tex]\left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a_0} \right)^2 = H^2_0 \left(\Omega_0 \frac{a_0}{a} + 1 - \Omega_0 \right)[/tex]

show that the parametric open solution given by

[tex]a(\psi)=a_0 \frac{\Omega_0}{2(1-\Omega_0)}(\cosh{\psi} - 1)[/tex]

and

[tex]t(\psi)=\frac{1}{2H_0} \frac{\Omega_0}{(1 - \Omega_0)^{3/2}}(\sinh{\psi} - \psi)[/tex]

solve the Friedmann equation.2. The attempt at a solution
I get

[tex]\dot{a} = a_0 \frac{\Omega_0}{2(1 - \Omega_0)}(\dot{\psi}\sinh{\psi})[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{\psi}=\frac{2H_0(1-\Omega_0)^{3/2}}{\Omega_0(\cosh{\psi}-1)}[/tex]

but I can't get to the first equality. Is this the correct approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may find it easier to write [tex] \dot{a} = \frac{\frac{da}{d\psi}}{\frac{dt}{d\psi}} [/tex]. Dividing by [tex] a_0 [/tex] and squaring should leave you with some expression involving only [tex] \psi [/tex]. A little algebra is then all you need to re-express things in terms of [tex] a [/tex].

I get the right hand side to equal

[tex]H^2_0 \frac{2(1-\Omega_0}{\cosh{\psi}-1}[/tex]

and the LHS

[tex]H^2_0 \frac{(1-\Omega_0)\sinh^2{\psi}}{(\cosh{\psi}-1)^2}[/tex]

but I can't get them equal...

I agree with your second expression from computing da/dt, but I think you've made a mistake with your first expression.

1. What is the Friedmann Equation and why is it important?

The Friedmann Equation is a fundamental equation in cosmology that describes the expanding universe. It is important because it helps us understand how the universe has evolved since the Big Bang and how it will continue to evolve in the future.

2. How do you solve the Friedmann Equation?

The Friedmann Equation can be solved by using mathematical techniques such as integration or numerical methods. It involves solving for the scale factor, which represents the expansion of the universe, as a function of time.

3. What is the role of the Friedmann Equation in understanding the expansion rate of the universe?

The Friedmann Equation helps us understand the relationship between the expansion rate of the universe and the matter and energy content of the universe. By solving the Friedmann Equation, we can determine how the expansion rate has changed over time and will change in the future.

4. How does the Friedmann Equation relate to the Hubble parameter?

The Friedmann Equation includes the Hubble parameter, which represents the rate of expansion of the universe at a given time. It is a key component in understanding the evolution of the universe and is used to calculate the age and size of the universe.

5. What is the significance of solving the Friedmann Equation in cosmology research?

Solving the Friedmann Equation is crucial in cosmology research as it allows us to make predictions about the evolution of the universe and test different cosmological models. It also helps us understand the properties of dark energy and dark matter, which are key components in the study of the universe's expansion.