Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friedmann paradox

1. May 8, 2004 #1
    Please show me how to solve this paradox
    cos the Friedmann equation is:
    [tex]
    H^{2}= \frac{8*pi*G*rho}{3}-\frac{k*c^{2}}{R^{2}}
    [/tex]
    but the concordance model says that k=0, so we can eliminate the last term of the equation
    then we isolate rho, the density of energy:
    [tex]
    rho=\frac{3*H^{2}}{8*pi*G}
    [/tex]
    but however, the formula for the critical energy density is
    [tex]
    rho_{crit}=\frac{3*H^2*c^2}{8*pi*G}
    [/tex]
    but the concordance model says that rho=rhocrit
    but you see that the 2 formulae are not equal, there's an extra c2 in the formula for rhocrit

I can't figure where is the mistake

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2004 #2

Stingray

Science Advisor

rho is mass density. rho_crit is energy density (as you wrote it). Mass and energy have different units, and you use c^2 to convert between them.

Most people like to use units such that c=1, and then energy and mass are interchangable. This convention is so common that books are sometimes careless about distinguishing the two.

4. May 8, 2004 #3
    please, take a look to this thread
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=2864
    Here's jeff, and I think that he is a knowledgeable person, and says that rho includes all kinds of energy, not only mass

5. May 8, 2004 #4

Stingray

Science Advisor

That's true. I was being a little sloppy myself. rho includes everything, but the way you wrote it, it has units of mass/volume, whereas rho_crit has units of energy/volume. Wherever you're quoting rho_crit from has a slightly different form for Friedmann's equation than you do, so their answer is different by c^2. This is just a convention. You can choose either mass units or energy units for rho as long as H works out as 1/time in the end.

6. May 19, 2004 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

use the conversion c^2=m/e

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?