Is the Friedmann Paradox Solved by the Concordance Model?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paradox in the Friedmann equation and the concordance model's solution. It is noted that the formula for critical energy density includes an extra c^2 term, which can be eliminated in the equation. However, there is a discrepancy between the units of mass and energy in rho and rho_crit, leading to a difference in the results. It is suggested to use the conversion c^2=m/e to resolve this issue.
meteor
Please show me how to solve this paradox
cos the Friedmann equation is:
[tex]
H^{2}= \frac{8*pi*G*rho}{3}-\frac{k*c^{2}}{R^{2}}
[/tex]
but the concordance model says that k=0, so we can eliminate the last term of the equation
then we isolate rho, the density of energy:
[tex]
rho=\frac{3*H^{2}}{8*pi*G}
[/tex]
but however, the formula for the critical energy density is
[tex]
rho_{crit}=\frac{3*H^2*c^2}{8*pi*G}
[/tex]
but the concordance model says that rho=rhocrit
but you see that the 2 formulae are not equal, there's an extra c2 in the formula for rhocrit

I can't figure where is the mistake

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
rho is mass density. rho_crit is energy density (as you wrote it). Mass and energy have different units, and you use c^2 to convert between them.

Most people like to use units such that c=1, and then energy and mass are interchangable. This convention is so common that books are sometimes careless about distinguishing the two.

Last edited:
please, take a look to this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=2864
Here's jeff, and I think that he is a knowledgeable person, and says that rho includes all kinds of energy, not only mass

It's not rhocrit but rho, which does in fact - as marcus pointed out - include all forms of energy so there's no need for the lamda term (review the derivation of the FRW equation)

Last edited:
meteor said:
please, take a look to this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=2864
Here's jeff, and I think that he is a knowledgeable person, and says that rho includes all kinds of energy, not only mass

That's true. I was being a little sloppy myself. rho includes everything, but the way you wrote it, it has units of mass/volume, whereas rho_crit has units of energy/volume. Wherever you're quoting rho_crit from has a slightly different form for Friedmann's equation than you do, so their answer is different by c^2. This is just a convention. You can choose either mass units or energy units for rho as long as H works out as 1/time in the end.

use the conversion c^2=m/e

1. What is the Friedmann Paradox?

The Friedmann Paradox, also known as Olbers' Paradox, is a cosmological problem that asks why the night sky is dark if the universe is infinite and filled with an infinite number of stars.

2. How did the Friedmann Paradox get its name?

The paradox is named after the Russian physicist Alexander Friedmann, who was the first to propose a mathematical solution to the paradox in 1922.

3. What is the most commonly accepted solution to the Friedmann Paradox?

The most commonly accepted solution to the Friedmann Paradox is the "finite age" hypothesis, which suggests that the universe has a finite age and has not existed infinitely. This means that light from distant stars has not had enough time to reach us yet, resulting in a dark night sky.

4. Are there any other proposed solutions to the Friedmann Paradox?

Yes, there are several other proposed solutions to the Friedmann Paradox, including the "tired light" hypothesis, which suggests that light from distant stars loses energy as it travels through space, resulting in a dark night sky.

5. Why is solving the Friedmann Paradox important in the field of cosmology?

Solving the Friedmann Paradox is important because it helps us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It also challenges our current understanding of the nature of space and time and has implications for theories such as the Big Bang and the expansion of the universe.