Friend Rejections: What Happens?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, if you reject a friend request, the requester will not receive a message about the rejection. However, the rejected person's avatar will disappear from your friend's list. If you later decide to become friends with the rejected person, their avatar will reappear on your friend's list.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What happens if I reject a friend request? Will the requester get a message saying that I have rejected him/her?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
What happens if I reject a friend request? Will the requester get a message saying that I have rejected him/her?

no, nothing happens

ok, thanks. I got one from someone I don't know, and I don't want to add them, but I don't want to be rude, either. :redface:

Whew! Same situation here, and I also didn't want to be rude! What a relief!:rolleyes:

Send 'em over to me. I love being rude.

Math Is Hard said:
ok, thanks. I got one from someone I don't know, and I don't want to add them, but I don't want to be rude, either. :redface:

So you'll just leave them hanging :tongue:

muppet said:

That's what I had been doing. I had no idea what happened either and didn't want them to feel rejected if they were just someone new trying to figure out how PF works, but didn't want to really add someone I don't know either. I figured maybe eventually I'd approve their request later if I found out who they were and liked them. :uhh:

Hmm, I just got a new friend request as well. I'm guessing that it's probably from the same member who requested friendship with you guys...

Defennder said:
Hmm, I just got a new friend request as well. I'm guessing that it's probably from the same member who requested friendship with you guys...

I don't have a stalker...
I feel left out :cry:

:biggrin:

muppet said:

*sigh* you're right.

the guilt..the guilt.. :frown:

Math Is Hard said:
*sigh* you're right.

the guilt..the guilt.. :frown:
"Why do MIH hate me?" "Why don't she write?"

Ah the pain, the angst, the self-loathing...

That's OK, MIH, don't even think about the psychological damage you are wreaking with your callous indifference to your potential friends. :cry:

<Evo checks to see if MIH has rejected her>

PHEW! I'm still MIH's friend!

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6785/pyrodancepleaseft2.gif

muppet said:
I don't have a stalker...
I feel left out :cry:

:biggrin:
Check again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I might not be, after she reads my (just joshing!) post above. Maybe a jar of habanero relish would patch things up...

turbo-1 said:

That's OK, MIH, don't even think about the psychological damage you are wreaking with your callous indifference to your potential friends. :cry:

Evo said:
<Evo checks to see if MIH has rejected her>

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6785/pyrodancepleaseft2.gif
[/URL]

OKAY! OKAY! UNCLE!

I will craft a tactful letter explaining that it's not really a rejection, just more of a "wait list" situation. The request will be reconsidered at a later date when I have gotten a chance to know something about the requestor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gracy
Math Is Hard said:
OKAY! OKAY! UNCLE!

I will craft a tactful letter explaining that it's not really a rejection, just more of a "wait list" situation. The request will be reconsidered at a later date when I have gotten a chance to know something about the requestor.
You don't need to do that, it is probably the same person that has sent friendship requests to several of us in the past couple of days.

Evo said:
You don't need to do that, it is probably the same person that has sent friendship requests to several of us in the past couple of days.

shoot. I just finished composing my thoughtful, sensitive letter. I even included a list of members to approach who might have lower friendship standards.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
shoot. I just finished composing my thoughtful, sensitive letter. I even included a list of members to approach who have might lower friendship standards.
I'd like to see that list, Left-Coaster. Could be fun.

Edit: I'm probably on the list. I haven't refused anybody.

Funny, since I subscribe to Groucho's philosophy that I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would agree to have me as a member... :redface:

Math Is Hard said:
shoot. I just finished composing my thoughtful, sensitive letter. I even included a list of members to approach who have might lower friendship standards.
:rofl:

Evo<----sopping Fresca out of her keyboard

Evo said:
Check again.

Evo you hardly count as an unknown stalker... but thanks!

turbo-1 said:

Too much blues just isn't healthy for a guy :biggrin:

G01 said:
Whew! Same situation here, and I also didn't want to be rude! What a relief!:rolleyes:

O.O omg, me too..I wonder if it was the same person.
Strange. I was like, I don't know you.

Well whoever it is will know if they ever find this thread.

I feel so loved! :blushing:
:tongue:

On a related note, I just got added on msn by an e-mail address I didn't recognise. Conversation:
ME: Hi who's this?
Them: Hey. Age/sex/location?
:grumpy:

What happens if one 'breaks a friendship'?

muppet said:
On a related note, I just got added on msn by an e-mail address I didn't recognise. Conversation:
ME: Hi who's this?
Them: Hey. Age/sex/location?
:grumpy:

I only added some stranger once ... and had this same conversation.
also:
ME: did I give u my id?
Her: that was my sister ...
ME: ook, later!

and, I blocked her.

Math Is Hard said:

Don't you see a minus beside his name?:tongue:

Hootenanny said:
What happens if one 'breaks a friendship'?
I think your avatar just disappears from their friend's list.

You could try it with me Evo as long as we became friends afterwards again.

1. What is a friend rejection?

A friend rejection is when someone declines or denies a request to be friends.

2. Why do people reject friend requests?

People may reject friend requests for a variety of reasons, such as not knowing the person well enough, not wanting to add too many friends on social media, or simply not being interested in becoming friends.

3. How can I cope with a friend rejection?

Coping with a friend rejection can be difficult, but it's important to remember that it's not a reflection of your worth as a person. It's okay to feel disappointed, but try to focus on other friendships and activities that bring you joy.

4. Can a friend rejection be reversed?

In some cases, a friend rejection can be reversed if the person who rejected the request changes their mind. However, it's important to respect their decision and not pressure them to accept the request.

5. How can I prevent future friend rejections?

To prevent future friend rejections, it's important to make sure that you have a genuine connection and mutual interest with the person before sending a friend request. Additionally, try to be respectful of their boundaries and avoid sending multiple requests if they have already declined one.