Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friends outside major?

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    I'm just curious, for those of you undergrads/grad students and those of you who graduated, how many of your friends are/were within your same/related major? (like if you are/were a physics major, how many of your friends were non-physics/math/engineering majors?)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

J77

I had freinds from every sphere at uni -- my gf at the time was doing sociology, mind.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have many friends within my major (Physics), but this is not necessarily all of them. I have a few acquaintances in other majors, and my best friend is a biology major. I do seem to spend most of my time around other science majors, but this is just my own experience.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I tended to make friends with people who had similar interests in music, sports and extracurricular activities, and who had similar philosophical perspectives.

When I was a physics major, my best friend was a quadruple major in Psychology, History, French and Economics. We had some wild times together, and we still keep in touch after 30+ years. And I keep in touch with my best friend from high school after 35+ years, and another friend I've known since 6th grade nearly 40 years ago.

I didn't really have close friends from the same department when I studied physics. On the other hand, when I changed majors to nuclear engineering, most of my friends were in that department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?