1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friends outside major?

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    I'm just curious, for those of you undergrads/grad students and those of you who graduated, how many of your friends are/were within your same/related major? (like if you are/were a physics major, how many of your friends were non-physics/math/engineering majors?)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

J77

I had freinds from every sphere at uni -- my gf at the time was doing sociology, mind.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have many friends within my major (Physics), but this is not necessarily all of them. I have a few acquaintances in other majors, and my best friend is a biology major. I do seem to spend most of my time around other science majors, but this is just my own experience.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I tended to make friends with people who had similar interests in music, sports and extracurricular activities, and who had similar philosophical perspectives.

When I was a physics major, my best friend was a quadruple major in Psychology, History, French and Economics. We had some wild times together, and we still keep in touch after 30+ years. And I keep in touch with my best friend from high school after 35+ years, and another friend I've known since 6th grade nearly 40 years ago.

I didn't really have close friends from the same department when I studied physics. On the other hand, when I changed majors to nuclear engineering, most of my friends were in that department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?