Fringe Visibility Homework: Obtain Intensity Values in MATLAB

• Thread starter MRL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fringe
In summary, MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows for efficient data analysis, visualization, and algorithm development. To obtain intensity values in MATLAB, you can use the "imread" function to read in an image file, and then use the "rgb2gray" function to convert the RGB image to grayscale. Fringe visibility is a measure of the contrast or visibility of fringes in an interference pattern, calculated by taking the difference between the maximum and minimum intensity values and dividing by the sum of these values. It is important in scientific research as it can provide information about the characteristics of the system and measure changes over time. Additionally, MATLAB can be used for a variety of data
MRL

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm attempting to find the fringe visibility of an interference pattern from a diffraction grating, using MATLAB. I have an image of this pattern, and have used the following code so far in MATLAB:
Code:
myimage = imread('IMG_0166.JPG')
image = rgb2gray(myimage);
imshow(image)
I'm struggling to find a way in which i can go about obtaining the intensity values from this image.

Homework Equations

The fringe visibility is given by:
Visibility = (Imax-Imin)/(Imax+Imin)

The Attempt at a Solution

Above.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is anyone able to help please?

What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows for efficient data analysis, visualization, and algorithm development.

How can I obtain intensity values in MATLAB?

To obtain intensity values in MATLAB, you can use the "imread" function to read in an image file, and then use the "rgb2gray" function to convert the RGB image to grayscale. This will give you a matrix of intensity values that you can manipulate and analyze.

What is fringe visibility?

Fringe visibility is a measure of the contrast or visibility of fringes in an interference pattern. It is calculated by taking the difference between the maximum and minimum intensity values in the pattern and dividing by the sum of these values.

Why is fringe visibility important in scientific research?

Fringe visibility is important in scientific research because it can provide information about the characteristics of the system producing the interference pattern. It can also be used to measure changes in the system over time, such as in dynamic systems or in response to external stimuli.

Can MATLAB be used for other types of data analysis?

Yes, MATLAB can be used for a wide range of data analysis tasks, including image processing, signal processing, statistical analysis, and more. Its versatility and powerful tools make it a popular choice among scientists and researchers.