Frobenius series without recurrence relation

In summary, the problem involves finding two linearly independent solutions for the differential equation x^2y''-xy'+n^2y=0, using the Frobenius series method. The first part requires finding the solutions in the form of a Frobenius series, with at least the first 3 terms. The second part involves finding a solution for n=1, using the fact that [1/(n-1)][y_1(x) - y_2(x)] is a solution for n=/= 1. However, taking the limit of this solution as n \rightarrow 1 is unclear.
um0123

Homework Statement

Consider

[itex] x^2y''-xy'+n^2y=0 [/itex]

where n is a constant.

a) find two linearly independent solutions in the form of a Frobenius series, initially keeping at least the first 3 terms. Can you find the solution to all orders?

b) for n=1 you shouild find only one linearly independent solution. If y_1(x) and y_2(x) are two independent solution for n=/= 1, us the fact that

[itex]\tilde{y} = [1/(n-1)][y_1(x) - y_2(x)][/itex]

is a solution and take the [itex] n \rightarrow 1[/itex] of it to find another solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the normal method of frobenius by taking the maclaurin expansion of y(x) and plugging it back in and got

[itex]y(z) = \sum_{k = 0}^{ \infty} a_kx^{(k+s)}[n^2-(k+s)+(k+s)(k+s-1)] = 0[/itex]

and by asserting that a_0 does not equal 0 i solved for s and got

[itex]s = 1 \pm \sqrt{1-n^2}[/itex]

But all the examples i have looked at have had another summation that starts at a different value of k in order to get a recurrence relationship between the coefficients. I only have one summation so i don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am also stuck on the second part. I know that \tilde{y} = [1/(n-1)][y_1(x) - y_2(x)]is a solution when n=/= 1, but i don't know how to take the limit of it as n \rightarrow 1.

What is a Frobenius series?

A Frobenius series is a type of power series that satisfies certain conditions, namely that the coefficients of the series are determined by a recurrence relation. This type of series is named after the mathematician Ferdinand Georg Frobenius.

Is it possible to have a Frobenius series without a recurrence relation?

Yes, it is possible to have a Frobenius series without a recurrence relation. In this case, the coefficients of the series are determined by a different method, such as a differential equation or a generating function.

What is the significance of a Frobenius series without a recurrence relation?

A Frobenius series without a recurrence relation can provide a solution to a problem that cannot be solved using a traditional recurrence relation. This type of series is often used in mathematical modeling and in physics to solve differential equations.

How is a Frobenius series without a recurrence relation calculated?

The coefficients of a Frobenius series without a recurrence relation can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of Frobenius. These methods involve finding a general solution to the equation and then determining the coefficients based on initial conditions.

What are some real-world applications of Frobenius series without a recurrence relation?

Frobenius series without a recurrence relation have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and solve problems involving differential equations, population dynamics, and financial markets. Additionally, they have applications in image processing, signal analysis, and computer graphics.