Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frobenius series

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    Why do we assume that the first term c0 in a frobenius series render.cgi?x%5E%7Br%7D%5Csum_%7Bn%3D0%7D%5E%5Cinfty%20c_%7Bn%7Dx%5E%7Bn%7D%5Cnocache.png cannot equal 0?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Latex seems to be misbehaving, so I'll write in plain text:

In the Frobenius substitution, the x dependence of the first term is already factored out:

y(x) = x^r Sum (a_k x^k)

So, the first term in the series is actually

a_0 x^r

and when we plug the series into the differential equation, the question we are asking is "What is the smallest r for which a_0 does not vanish?" The answer is given by the indicial equation.

After solving the indicial equation for r, we are then equipped to ask the next question: "Given that a_0 does not vanish, can I find some sequence a_k such that my formal sum converges and solves the differential equation?"

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the response. Why is it necessary though that a0 not vanish?

5. May 5, 2009 #4
    Let say the first term that we obtained on substituting the Frobenius series into the DE as

Aa0xr + .... is identically zero.

This implies Aa0=0.
    We may assume a0 to be zero or nonzero. But if it is zero then A can be any number. Not an interesting result.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook