Frog metamorphosis

Main Question or Discussion Point

I used to have a bunch of tadpoles and they never turned into frogs. Long after I got rid of them, I read up about how tadpoles need a certain kind of mineral or something in the water (forgot what it was) or else they won't turn into frogs.
Recently I tried to read up on it some more and I couldn't find ANYTHING on the internet that talks about that.

So do tadpoles really need this element in their water, whatever it was, or am I crazy?

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They would obviously need proper nutrition to grow sufficiently to undergo metamorphosis, but I don't think that would include anything special in the water.

How long did you wait for your tadpoles to undergo metamorphosis? The timing is species dependent. Some will only take a month or two from hatching to metamorphosis, and others can take a full year. Water temperature can also affect the rate of metamorphosis, with cooler temperatures slowing the process.

I have no way to know if you're crazy though. :wink: With all the odd things around on the internet, who knows, maybe you did read something...doesn't mean it was right.

They would obviously need proper nutrition to grow sufficiently to undergo metamorphosis, but I don't think that would include anything special in the water.

How long did you wait for your tadpoles to undergo metamorphosis? The timing is species dependent. Some will only take a month or two from hatching to metamorphosis, and others can take a full year. Water temperature can also affect the rate of metamorphosis, with cooler temperatures slowing the process.

I have no way to know if you're crazy though. :wink: With all the odd things around on the internet, who knows, maybe you did read something...doesn't mean it was right.
Yeah I fed them and the water was probably a little cold, but I live in Florida so it couldn't have been too bad.
I had them in there a while. My uncle gave them to me. I wanted them because they were so big. They were the biggest tadpoles I'd ever seen.
I put them in a big container and left them outside with a covering over it partly and fed them stuff.
Since they were big when I got them, I assumed they were close to metamorphosis. Maybe I was wrong. I had them for maybe a little less than a year.

And assuming everything you read on the internet is correct, then I'd have to be crazy if it turned out not to be true.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
YI wanted them because they were so big. They were the biggest tadpoles I'd ever seen.
I put them in a big container and left them outside with a covering over it partly and fed them stuff.
Since they were big when I got them, I assumed they were close to metamorphosis. Maybe I was wrong. I had them for maybe a little less than a year.
Yep, sounds like you had bullfrog tadpoles. They can take over a year to undergo metamorphosis and would be BIG.
http://web.uvic.ca/bullfrogs/page4nathist.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video where the guy explains that tadpoles need iodine to develop into frogs. I heard this somewhere else, but I couldn't find any other sources.
He says it starting at about 3:00 into the video.
So apparently it's iodine.

Last edited by a moderator: