Frog Survival: Uncovering the Genes Behind Antifreeze and Freezing Abilities

• Thread starter Serendipity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freezing
In summary, the scientists interviewed said that it's possible to make a mammal be able to freeze itself like a frog/an animal that can put itself into a state where it doesn't breathe/have a heartbeat by genetically engineering it- but more research is needed.
Serendipity
Have they identified the genes behind frogs being able to produce antifreeze and surviving freezing themselves that way? Can anyone shed more light on frogs freezing themselves? thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know about frogs, but they've been transplanting the fish anti-freeze gene into plants like tomatoes for a few years now.

Could you give me a link or anything to that?

I hadn't paid any attention since the first experiments were performed; apparently they failed.
http://www.geo-pie.cornell.edu/media/fishberries.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that frogs still age when they are in suspended animation...

if you're not breathing though, aren't you not acquiring oxidative DNA damage? is a frog not getting oxidative DNA damage while in suspended animation? why or why not?

What are the ways to acquire oxidative DNA damage while not breathing?

Someone else will have to field this; I really don't know anything about it.

frogs breathe through their skin when they're in suspended animation...I kind of thought they just stopped completely...

Can you cryogenically freeze something with antifreeze to protect damage to cells or would that not work?

also if neurons were not in the right place, what are the possible problems that would cause? (In a scenario where the brain would not be aging) thanks (Ignore all previous questions I got those answered...ty)

I've heard that the longest time an animal could freeze itself for like a frog was 9 months, I think that was an insect I'm not sure if that's true, it's just something I read

Would it be possible to make a mammal be able to freeze itself like a frog/an animal that can put itself into a state where it doesn't breathe/have a heartbeat by genetically engineering it- I mean, if they haven't done it yet, does that mean it's not possible with our current knowledge? ty, this is my only question relating to frogs

We had a similar discussion two months ago - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240884".

The highlights of that discussion:

1.) The frogs aren't *frozen* frozen (their cells are full of cryoprotectant and are a few degrees below freezing, not really cold cryogenic conditions like being dipped in liquid nitrogen), they're at a low enough temperature to essentially slow down all metabolism/physiological function to a point where the frog can survive on the nutrients stuffed into the cell at the point of "freezing" for some time.

2.) No real idea as to the question of brain function, one would need to observe the frog for an entire hibernation period so as to see if there are any very low-frequency neural behaviors during that period. No one has done that, and it's impossible to say without such experiments. So please don't ask me about it, I have no clue. :)

In the link provided in the earlier discussion, the scientist interviewed addressed the possibility of freezing humans. It's too early to say anything definitively. Perhaps in a century (or perhaps sooner, or later, it's impossible to predict) we will be able to handle cryoprotectant delivery and extraction for an entire human body and know how to simultaneously freeze all organ systems. But right now, your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, right now, could we make a mammal be able to have the ability that frogs do (below) I think other insects/other things may have it as well, through genetic engineering or do we not know enough? I mean could we eventually do it through trial and error or something or do we just not know enough right now?

1.) The frogs aren't *frozen* frozen (their cells are full of cryoprotectant and are a few degrees below freezing, not really cold cryogenic conditions like being dipped in liquid nitrogen), they're at a low enough temperature to essentially slow down all metabolism/physiological function to a point where the frog can survive on the nutrients stuffed into the cell at the point of "freezing" for some time.

Mike H said:
In the link provided in the earlier discussion, the scientist interviewed addressed the possibility of freezing humans. It's too early to say anything definitively. Perhaps in a century (or perhaps sooner, or later, it's impossible to predict) we will be able to handle cryoprotectant delivery and extraction for an entire human body and know how to simultaneously freeze all organ systems. But right now, your guess is as good as mine.

Replace "human" with "mammal" in this paragraph and my answer is still the same. Your guess is as good as mine. More research is needed.

Also, remember that frogs are cold-blooded (ectotherms, technically), mammals are warm-blooded. One needs to account for that factor. How, precisely, I'm not sure - never took animal physiology, sorry. Someone else will need to come in for that discussion.

1. What is the purpose of studying frog survival and their genes related to antifreeze and freezing abilities?

The purpose of studying frog survival and their genes related to antifreeze and freezing abilities is to gain a better understanding of how these animals are able to survive in extreme cold temperatures. By identifying and studying the specific genes responsible for their antifreeze and freezing abilities, we can potentially apply this knowledge to developing new strategies for human cryopreservation and other medical applications.

2. How do frogs survive freezing temperatures?

Frogs have unique physiological adaptations that allow them to survive freezing temperatures. They produce special proteins and sugars that act as antifreeze, preventing ice crystals from forming in their cells and causing damage. They also have the ability to lower their metabolic rate and enter a state of hibernation, which helps them conserve energy and survive the cold.

3. What is the significance of antifreeze and freezing abilities in frogs?

The ability to survive freezing temperatures is a crucial adaptation for frogs that live in cold climates. It allows them to survive harsh winters and gives them a competitive advantage over other animals that cannot withstand such extreme conditions. Additionally, studying these abilities can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of cryopreservation, which has potential applications in medicine and conservation efforts.

4. How are scientists uncovering the genes responsible for antifreeze and freezing abilities in frogs?

Scientists are using a combination of techniques such as genetic sequencing, gene expression analysis, and genetic engineering to identify and study the genes related to antifreeze and freezing abilities in frogs. By comparing the genomes of different frog species and studying how these genes are expressed in response to cold temperatures, researchers can gain a better understanding of their function and potential applications.

5. Are there any potential risks or ethical concerns associated with studying frog survival and their genes?

As with any scientific research involving animals, there are potential risks and ethical concerns that need to be considered. These may include the impact on wild frog populations, the use of genetically modified frogs, and the potential for unintended consequences. However, these concerns are carefully evaluated and addressed by researchers to ensure that their studies are conducted responsibly and ethically.