Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frog Survival Freezing

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Have they identified the genes behind frogs being able to produce antifreeze and surviving freezing themselves that way? Can anyone shed more light on frogs freezing themselves? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know about frogs, but they've been transplanting the fish anti-freeze gene into plants like tomatoes for a few years now.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    Could you give me a link or anything to that?

5. Apr 26, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

6. Apr 26, 2008 #5
    I understand that frogs still age when they are in suspended animation...

if you're not breathing though, aren't you not acquiring oxidative DNA damage? is a frog not getting oxidative DNA damage while in suspended animation? why or why not?

7. Apr 28, 2008 #6
    What are the ways to acquire oxidative DNA damage while not breathing?

8. Apr 28, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Someone else will have to field this; I really don't know anything about it.

9. Apr 28, 2008 #8
    frogs breathe through their skin when they're in suspended animation...I kind of thought they just stopped completely...

Can you cryogenically freeze something with antifreeze to protect damage to cells or would that not work?

10. Apr 29, 2008 #9
    also if neurons were not in the right place, what are the possible problems that would cause? (In a scenario where the brain would not be aging) thanks (Ignore all previous questions I got those answered...ty)

11. May 20, 2008 #10
  12. Aug 16, 2008 #11
    I've heard that the longest time an animal could freeze itself for like a frog was 9 months, I think that was an insect I'm not sure if that's true, it's just something I read

Would it be possible to make a mammal be able to freeze itself like a frog/an animal that can put itself into a state where it doesn't breathe/have a heartbeat by genetically engineering it- I mean, if they haven't done it yet, does that mean it's not possible with our current knowledge? ty, this is my only question relating to frogs

13. Aug 16, 2008 #12
    We had a similar discussion two months ago - Brain death in frogs.

The highlights of that discussion:

1.) The frogs aren't *frozen* frozen (their cells are full of cryoprotectant and are a few degrees below freezing, not really cold cryogenic conditions like being dipped in liquid nitrogen), they're at a low enough temperature to essentially slow down all metabolism/physiological function to a point where the frog can survive on the nutrients stuffed into the cell at the point of "freezing" for some time.

2.) No real idea as to the question of brain function, one would need to observe the frog for an entire hibernation period so as to see if there are any very low-frequency neural behaviors during that period. No one has done that, and it's impossible to say without such experiments. So please don't ask me about it, I have no clue. :)

In the link provided in the earlier discussion, the scientist interviewed addressed the possibility of freezing humans. It's too early to say anything definitively. Perhaps in a century (or perhaps sooner, or later, it's impossible to predict) we will be able to handle cryoprotectant delivery and extraction for an entire human body and know how to simultaneously freeze all organ systems. But right now, your guess is as good as mine.

14. Aug 16, 2008 #13
    But, right now, could we make a mammal be able to have the ability that frogs do (below) I think other insects/other things may have it as well, through genetic engineering or do we not know enough? I mean could we eventually do it through trial and error or something or do we just not know enough right now?

1.) The frogs aren't *frozen* frozen (their cells are full of cryoprotectant and are a few degrees below freezing, not really cold cryogenic conditions like being dipped in liquid nitrogen), they're at a low enough temperature to essentially slow down all metabolism/physiological function to a point where the frog can survive on the nutrients stuffed into the cell at the point of "freezing" for some time.

15. Aug 16, 2008 #14
    Replace "human" with "mammal" in this paragraph and my answer is still the same. Your guess is as good as mine. More research is needed.

Also, remember that frogs are cold-blooded (ectotherms, technically), mammals are warm-blooded. One needs to account for that factor. How, precisely, I'm not sure - never took animal physiology, sorry. Someone else will need to come in for that discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?