Frog Muscle Stimulation: Tips and Tricks for a Successful Demonstration

• Thread starter MarbleMad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: However, I do think that using an alternative teaching aid would be ideal.In summary, electricity may be able to trigger a muscular contraction but it does not mean that it is an electrical engine. Alternatives to using frog or using a pre-made demonstration are available.
MarbleMad
Does anyone have any advice about the best way to set up a demonstration of how muscle tissue can be stimulated by electricity?

Specificly how frest does the tissue have to be?

Is material you can buy at a good butcher shop likely to be fresh enough and how long will it last?

From what I've read so far I get the impression that white meat is better than red and heart tissue is quite good for this demonstration but I really want to demonstrate a muscle contraction capable of doing some piece of physical work.

I also get the impression that AC current is best but I'm not sure what voltage to use. I suppose it's an excuse to play with my variac.

Biology news on Phys.org
Unless this demonstration is for an advanced biology, pre-med, or nursing program, I am against this type of laboratory exercise that results in death of frogs in these times of well documented declines of amphibian populations worldwide. Have you ever decapitated or pithed a frog ? :yuck: -- but this will be required for this type of exercise because the muscle must be fresh.

Here is my suggestion. Take a look at these internet sites that give alternative teaching aids:

http://www.soveinc.com/ (play the sample video showing the demonstration you seek)

http://www.eurca.org/res_desc.asp?EdID=392376 (This is called "SimMuscle")

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/StudentsImprovingtheLivesofAnimals/dissection.alternatives.html (see SimNerve software--is used by university professor to demonstrate frog muscle physiology).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice about the best way to set up a demonstration of how muscle tissue can be stimulated by electricity

Electricity may trigger a muscular contraction but it does not mean that it is an electrical engine.

Rade said:
Unless this demonstration is for an advanced biology, pre-med, or nursing program, I am against this type of laboratory exercise that results in death of frogs
Yes that's why I don't want to use frog. Is their any reason to use frog other than historical ones?

somasimple said:
Hi,

Electricity may trigger a muscular contraction but it does not mean that it is an electrical engine.
i realize that and understand it'll only do so much before it is exhausted.

I've done this experiment with a frog's leg muscle. I'm not sure if butcher meet will show a significant contraction because the ion gradients required to make the action potential are being lost as the ions diffuse towards equilibrium. The more fresh the specimen the better the contraction. Also the muscle has to be prepared in a way so that it isn't significantly damage since that too will also have an effect on the contractions.

Hi Marblemad... Patty here.

When we did this experiment in college, we used pithed frogs. In other words, the heart was still beating. The frog was brain dead -

Pithing involves sticking a needle into the base of the brain. You can then dissect the frog, observe the beating heart, observe and measure muscle contraction, and so on.

I don't have the stomach for this sort of experiment, but I respect that others may.

As far as amphibian populations... most labs get their frogs from breeders, so there should be minimal (if any) environmental impact.

What exactly are frogs legs and how are they related to electricity?

Frogs legs are the hind legs of frogs, which are used for jumping and swimming. They are also commonly used as a delicacy in certain cuisines. The connection between frogs legs and electricity is that frogs legs have a unique ability to contract and twitch when exposed to electrical current, making them a popular subject for experiments on the effects of electricity on living organisms.

How do frogs legs react to electricity and why?

When exposed to electricity, the muscles in the frogs legs produce contractions due to the flow of electrical current. This is because the muscles in frogs legs contain high levels of ions, which are electrically charged particles. When an electrical current is applied, it affects the movement of these ions, causing the muscles to contract.

What have scientists learned from studying frogs legs and electricity?

Scientists have learned a lot about the effects of electricity on living organisms through studying frogs legs. They have been able to understand how electrical current affects muscle movement and how different levels of current can cause different responses. This research has also been applied to understanding the nervous system and its connection to muscle movement.

What are some ethical concerns surrounding the use of frogs legs in electricity experiments?

There are ethical concerns about using living organisms, such as frogs, in experiments involving electricity. Some argue that it is cruel and inhumane to subject animals to electric shocks, even if they are not harmed. Others argue that these experiments have contributed to important scientific advancements and have been conducted with ethical considerations in place.

How is the knowledge gained from studying frogs legs and electricity being applied in other fields?

The understanding of how electricity affects living organisms, gained through studying frogs legs, has been applied in various fields such as neuroscience, medicine, and robotics. This knowledge has also contributed to the development of technologies such as pacemakers and prosthetic limbs, which use electrical signals to stimulate muscle movement.