Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From a list of numbers find all the combinations that sum to more than a given number

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This is born out of musings around coalition governments that arise from the party with the most votes not achieving ≥50% of the votes (as opposed to emergency coalitions).

Taking the figures below how would one go about determining all the possible combinations of parties who combined have >50% of the votes without sitting down and working them out one by one?

Kid gloves please :redface: I haven't studied maths for the better part of a decade...

Parties / Percentage of votes

Pink / 21
    Orange / 19
    Brown / 16
    Blue / 10
    Green / 10
    Tan / 8
    Red / 5
    Black / 4
    Purple / 4
    White / 3

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    Re: From a list of numbers find all the combinations that sum to more than a given nu

Brute force my friend !
    Here is a groovy script that answers your question:
    Code (Text):

def X=[Pink:21, Orange:19, Brown:16, Blue:10, Green:10, Tan:8, Red:5, Black:4, Purple:4, White:3]
    def XS=X.keySet() as List
    def N=XS.size()
    def F; F={ ix,n ->
        def L0=[XS[ix]]
        if(n==1) return [L0]
        def L=[]
        for(def j=ix; j<N-1; j++) {
            F(j+1, n-1).each{ L<<(L0+it) }
        }
        L
    }
    def OK=[:]
    for(def i=0;i<N;i++) {
        for(def j=1;j<=N-i;j++) {
            def c=F(i,j)
            c.each{
                def s=0; it.each { s+=X[it]}
                if(s>50) OK[it]=s
            }
        }
    }
    OK.keySet().sort{x,y->OK[y]<=>OK[x]}.each{ println "$it: ${OK[it]}%" }

I don't post the result since there are 502 winning combinations going all the way from 51% up to 100% :smile:

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Re: From a list of numbers find all the combinations that sum to more than a given nu

Wow thanks a lot! To be honest I'm not really sure how to work code lol but it's good to know that there's a relatively simple way to get it done. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook