1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

from a question on conics

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
    I'm doing a question in my book on conics where there is a circle cutting through a parabola. There are three points S - the focus P - a point on the parabola and Q - the point where the tangent at P meets the directrix.

The focus is at S[1,0] and the dirextrix is x=-1
    point P is [t^2, 2t] and point Q is [-1, (t^2 -1)/t]

The question asks you to find the circle on which all three points lie.

I said that the equation of the circle would be (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2=c^2

I put in the values of X and Y for each of the coordinates to get three expressions which are all equal to c^2 and then equated coefficients to get the values of a, b, and c. I thought this seemed obvious but my value for a keeps coming out as 1, which is wrong.

Can anyone see any other solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You say that " a point on the parabola" but then say that "P is [t^2, 2t]" which could be any point on the parabola. I think you mean that P and Q are points such that the tangent to the parabola intersects the directrix at Q.

The parabola with focus at (1, 0) and directrix x= -1 has equation x= (1/4)y2. Differentiating with respect to x, 1= (1/2)y y' so
    y'= 2/y. If the point P is given by (t2,2t) then y'= 2/2t= 1/t.
    The equation of the tangent line at (t2,2t) is y= (1/t)(x- t2+ 2t. That intersects the directrix, x= -1 when y= (1/t)(-1-t2)+ 2t= -1/t- t+ 2t= t- 1/t = (t2-1)/t. That is, the values of P and Q given could be for any point on the parabola! You could evaluate the equation of the circle through S, P, and Q as a function of t.

Write the equation of the circle as (x-a)2+ (y- b)2= c2 and substitute the coordinates of the three points for x, y:
    [tex]S: (1- a)^2+ b^2= c^2[/tex]
    [tex]P: (t^2- a)^2+ (4t^2- b)^2= c^2[/tex]
    [tex]Q: (1- a)^2+ (\frac{(t^2-1)^2}{t^2}-b)^2= c^2[/tex]

Subtracting the equation for S from the equation for t eliminates both a and c and gives
    [tex]\frac{(t^2-1)^2}{t^2}-\frac{2(t^2-1)^2}{t^2}b= 0[/tex]
    so b= 1/2. (independent of t!).
    Putting that into the equation for S, c2= 5/4-2a+ a2. Now put that into the equation for P to determine a. Looks to me like a will be 4th degree polynomial in t.

Another way to do this is to use this geometric property: all perpendicular bisectors of chords of a circle intersect at the center of the circle.
    The the points S, P, Q give two chords:
    The line segement from S to P: has midpoint
    [tex](\frac{t^2+1}{2},\frac{t}{2})[/itex]
    and slope
    [tex]\frac{t}{t^2-1}[/tex]
    and, so, the equation of the perpendicular bisector is
    [tex]y= \frac{1-t^2}{t}(x- 1)[/itex]

The line segment SQ has midpoint
    [tex](0, \frac{t^1-1}{2t})[/tex]
    and slope
    [tex]\frac{t^2-1}{2t}[/tex]
    and, so, the perpendicular bisector has equation
    [tex]\frac{2t}{1-t^2}(x-1)[/itex]
    Solving those two equations simultaneously for x and y will give the coordinates a and b in terms of t. Of course, the distance from that point to (1, 0) will be c.

4. Jun 4, 2006 #3
    ahhh, i had completely forgotten about the perpendicular bisector approach, thanks for reminding me. I'll try it now.

Although I'm still not sure about the equation of a circle approach. I disagree with some of your working for that way. In subsituting values in you've written your Q x coordinate as 1 instead of -1, and you've squared all your y coordinates before putting them into the brackets. Surely both b and a would be variables?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?