Can I Pursue a Physics Degree Despite Poor Biology Grades?

In summary, you are intelligent and have a good GPA in your biology degree. You blame yourself for not studying harder, and you want to study physics because it seems more logical and structured. You don't think that being of average intelligence is a big deal, and you will be successful in physics if you study the necessary mathematics.
clairedunham
Yesterday my boyfriend was a real ******* and told me I'm of average intelligence and that I'm not that intelligent (we were fighting). I have a low self esteem problem and a really really poor GPA in my Biology Degree. I blame myself for not studying hard. I really want to study Physics for a long time now but don't know if I'd get accepted. What are the possibilities I might?

Physics news on Phys.org
The real question is why is being of average intelligence bothersome to you and what exactly is "average intelligence" (and how would he know anyway)? Also, why do you want to study physics? If it's simply to "prove" to your boyfriend that you're not of "average intelligence", then you probably won't be any more successful than you have been in your biology degree.

And for the record, I am of average intelligence and I'm doing well in my physics degree... As an undergrad, intelligence has little to do with it; work ethic has a much bigger impact

Likes ankzzz
Biology is very, very different from Physics. To study either requires self-discipline. To WANT to study either or both requires motivation - cannot say from where this motivation comes from, but it must be something you feel attracted to do. A person does not always know what will interest him/her until or unless she/he TRIES something. If you hope for a science which seems much more logical and structured, you will find this in Physics. Just realize, you will need much more mathematics quicker than you will in Biology. The mathematicalness of physics is also one of its advantages.

Likes ankzzz
clairedunham said:
Yesterday my boyfriend was a real ******* and told me I'm of average intelligence and that I'm not that intelligent (we were fighting). I have a low self esteem problem and a really really poor GPA in my Biology Degree. I blame myself for not studying hard. I really want to study Physics for a long time now but don't know if I'd get accepted. What are the possibilities I might?

--------- You are worried about being accepted! Do not worry. Study the needed Mathematics (Algebra, Trigonometry, at least a year of Calculus). If you are serious about learning and studying Physics, you will be accepted. Just don't go on like you're trying to prove something about yourself to people because often they will see through that, and you may then actually find some problems being accepted. Back to the simpler idea, if you are genuine with your qualifications in math and interest to learn Physics, then you will be accepted.

Likes ankzzz
We can't tell you what the probability is that you'll be accepted into an undergraduate physics program. If it's something you really want to do, just go for it. Apply and see.

I'm of average intelligence and doing fine in my physics degree thus far; we aren't all Feynman you know. People say mean things during fights I mean I wouldn't take something like that so seriously to the extent of changing my major itself; anger can get the better of people and they will say things without thinking that they don't really mean. You shouldn't change majors just to prove a point to someone; if you like bio then stick with it.

1. Can my poor biology grades affect my ability to pursue a physics degree?

While biology and physics are both scientific fields, they are distinct and have their own set of skills and knowledge. Poor biology grades may not necessarily impact your ability to pursue a physics degree as long as you have a strong understanding of the core concepts in physics.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in biology to succeed in a physics degree?

While a background in biology may be helpful in some areas of physics, it is not a requirement for success. Physics is a broad field that encompasses many different topics and concepts, and a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking is often more important than a background in a specific science.

3. Will my biology grades be a barrier to getting accepted into a physics program?

Admissions into a physics program will depend on a variety of factors, including your grades in relevant subjects, your overall academic performance, and your personal statement. While poor biology grades may not be ideal, they may not necessarily be a barrier to acceptance if you have strengths in other areas.

4. Can I still excel in physics with poor biology grades?

While academic performance is important, it is not the only factor in determining success in a field. With hard work, determination, and a strong understanding of the core concepts in physics, you can still excel in the field despite poor grades in biology.

5. Are there any resources or support available to help me improve my understanding of biology for a physics degree?

Many universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and other resources to help students improve their understanding of various subjects. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems, that can aid in your understanding of biology concepts for a physics degree. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed.