1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From cartesian to cylindrical

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    I find this passage [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \cos(\phi)\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho } - \frac{\sin(\phi)}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} [/tex] difficult to understand.

My teacher wrote this as an explanation:

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \rho} + \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial z} [/tex] *

And then inserting for [tex] \rho [/tex] and [tex] \phi [/tex], which will yield a correct result.

What I don't understand is how * can be correct? To me it seems that the right side of the equation is equal to [tex] 3\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} [/tex]

Please enlighten me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2
    There, I fixed it :)

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Could you tell us WHY you think there should be a "3" in that?

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \rho} + \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial z} [/tex]
    is simply the chain rule!
    That would be 3 times dV/dx only if all those were equal to dV/dx separately and they are not!

Take a simple example. Suppose V(u,w)= u2+ 2w2 and
    that u= 3x-1, v= 2x+3.
    One way of finding dV/dx would be to substitute. V(x)= (3x-1)2+ 2(2x+3)2= 9x2- 6x+ 1+ 2(4x2+ 12x+ 9)= 9x2- 6x+ 1+ 8x2+ 24x+ 18= 17x2+ 18x+ 19.

dV/dx= 34x- 30.

But a simpler way is to use the chain rule: [itex]\frac{dV}{dx}= \frac{dV}{du}\frac{du}{dx}+ \frac{dV}{dw}\frac{dw}{dx}[/itex]= 2u(3)+ 4w(2)= 6(3x-1)+ 8(2x-3)= 18x- 6+ 16x- 24= 34x- 30 just as before. dV/dx is that sum, not the individual parts.

5. Mar 1, 2005 #4
    [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \cos(\phi)\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho } - \frac{\sin(\phi)}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} [/tex]

If you understand how chain rule works just as explained by HallsofIvy,

this is not so difficult.
    Lets say [tex] V=V(\rho, \phi, z)[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial \rho}\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/tex]

Transformation from cylindrical to cartisian coordinates,
    [tex] x= \rho cos \phi ,\\ y= \rho sin \phi ,\\ z= z [/tex]

[tex]\rho = \sqrt(x^2 +y^2)[/tex]

[tex]tan \phi = \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

From here,

[tex]\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x}= \frac{x}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}= \frac{-sin\phi}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= 0[/tex]

Substituting you get your result.

6. Mar 1, 2005 #5
    Thank you both very much! I was thinking in the wrong paths entirely. To explain:

What I figured, not being well versed in this kind of manipulation, was this:

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \phi} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} [/tex]

Because I remember doing something like that once.

Thanks again for your answers :)

7. Mar 1, 2005 #6
    this is not valid in general, you can only do this in a very special case, i.e.

[tex] V = V(\phi(x)) [/tex]

8. Mar 1, 2005 #7
    Yes that's the chain rule doing its magic I guess :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?