1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From ChemE to Chemistry?

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

I am currently finishing up my freshman year as a chemical engineer and I have seen many threads asking if they should go from chemistry to chemE, but never the other way around. Personally, I like research. I think it would be great to actively do research and try to discover something new. I love chemistry, which has always come natural to me more so than math. I don't find chemE too challenging (you just have to be willing to put in the time) but I do find chemistry more interesting.

However,

Would this be giving up a huge job opportunity for a major with not many? I understand that some majors are more interesting but that doesn't make them more worthwhile. I don't know, chemists and chemical engineers, what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2014 #2
    Or would it be better to get my B.S. in ChemE, work, then get a graduate degree in chemistry later?

4. Mar 9, 2014 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If, by "do research" you mean working as a professor in academia, you should know that's really a long shot. Job openings are rare and the competition is tough.

Chem E jobs are widely available and generally pay extremely well. Chemistry jobs are becoming rare and generally pay poorly.

With respect to employment, any degree with "engineer" attached is easier to market, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook