Transitioning from ChemE to Chemistry: Weighing Job Opportunities and Passion

• Thread starter alex05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether to pursue a career in chemistry or chemical engineering. The person speaking is currently a chemical engineering student and is considering switching to chemistry for their love of research. However, they are unsure if this would limit their job opportunities. The other person advises that chemical engineering jobs are more widely available and generally better paid compared to chemistry jobs. They suggest getting a degree in chemical engineering and then pursuing a graduate degree in chemistry if desired.
alex05
Hey guys,

I am currently finishing up my freshman year as a chemical engineer and I have seen many threads asking if they should go from chemistry to chemE, but never the other way around. Personally, I like research. I think it would be great to actively do research and try to discover something new. I love chemistry, which has always come natural to me more so than math. I don't find chemE too challenging (you just have to be willing to put in the time) but I do find chemistry more interesting.

However,

Would this be giving up a huge job opportunity for a major with not many? I understand that some majors are more interesting but that doesn't make them more worthwhile. I don't know, chemists and chemical engineers, what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or would it be better to get my B.S. in ChemE, work, then get a graduate degree in chemistry later?

If, by "do research" you mean working as a professor in academia, you should know that's really a long shot. Job openings are rare and the competition is tough.

Chem E jobs are widely available and generally pay extremely well. Chemistry jobs are becoming rare and generally pay poorly.

With respect to employment, any degree with "engineer" attached is easier to market, IMO.

1. What is the difference between Chemical Engineering and Chemistry?

Chemical Engineering involves the application of chemistry principles to design, operate, and optimize processes used to produce various products on an industrial scale. Chemistry, on the other hand, focuses on the study of matter, its properties, and its reactions. While both fields have a strong foundation in chemistry, chemical engineering is more focused on the practical application of chemical concepts, while chemistry is more focused on research and understanding the fundamental principles.

2. Can a Chemical Engineer work as a Chemist?

Yes, a chemical engineer can work as a chemist. Many chemical engineers have a strong background in chemistry and can apply their knowledge to work in the field of chemistry. However, there may be some additional training or education required to transition from chemical engineering to a specific role in chemistry.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for someone with a background in both chemical engineering and chemistry. These may include roles in research and development, process engineering, quality control, or technical sales in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, materials science, and environmental science.

4. Is a degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry more valuable?

Both degrees have their own value and can lead to different career paths. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Chemical engineering may be more valuable for those interested in industrial and practical applications, while a degree in chemistry may be more valuable for those interested in research and development.

5. How can I decide if Chemical Engineering or Chemistry is the right field for me?

To decide which field is right for you, it's important to consider your interests and career goals. Chemical engineering may be a good fit for those with a strong background in math and physics who are interested in applying chemical principles to real-world problems. Chemistry may be a good fit for those who enjoy research, have a strong understanding of chemistry concepts, and are interested in pursuing a career in academia or industry.