From elementary general relativity

In summary, we have a map h which is a type (1,1) tensor with components h^i_{~~j} defined as h(X)=X+g(U,X)U. To find the components h^i_{~~j}, we can use the component notation h(X)\equiv h^i_{~~j}X^j e_{(i)}. For the second part, we can use the linear property of g to show that h^2 = h, and interpret this geometrically by setting X = U and using X such that g(U,X) = 0.
fu11meta1
A map h: = T.(M) ---> T.(M) is defined by h(X) = X + g(U,X)U where U ε T.(M) is a fixed vector with g(U,U) = -1.

i: Give an expression for the components h^i (sub) j (This is "h" with a superscript i and subscript j) of h regarded as a tensor type (1,1)

ii: Prove that h^2 = h. Interpret h geometrically.

So I've been playing around with this but I'm getting no where. I could use some guidance on where to really get started. I'm also VERY new to general relativity, so every step/hint/anything would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
So, the first step is probably to figure out what the question is really asking. So we have this map ##h## which takes a vector ##X## and gives you the back the vector ##h(X)=X+g(U,X)U##. Since this mapping is taking a vector into another vector, then we know that ##h## is a type (1,1) tensor which has components ##h^i_{~~j}##. So we know then that in component notation ##h(X)\equiv h^i_{~~j}X^j e_{(i)}## where ##e_{(i)}## are the basis vectors (the parenthesis mean that they are not components of a vector, but each ##i## denotes a different vector). Can you perhaps turn the right hand side of the first equation into component notation to see what it looks like?

Regarding ii, this should be a simple matter of insertion and using the linear property of g. For the interpretation, what happens if you set X = U? What happens when you use X such that g(U,X) = 0? (I suggest not using the coordinate representation for ii as it really is not necessary.)

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how gravity affects the fabric of space and time.

2. How is general relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Unlike Newton's theory, general relativity takes into account the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. It also predicts that gravity is not a force, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime.

3. What are some practical applications of general relativity?

General relativity has been used to explain the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of GPS systems and has been used in other technologies such as gravitational wave detectors and black hole imaging.

4. Can general relativity be tested or proven?

Yes, general relativity has been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of starlight by massive objects and the detection of gravitational waves. However, it is still an active area of research and scientists continue to test and refine the theory.

5. Is general relativity the final theory of gravity?

While general relativity is currently the most accurate theory of gravity, it is not considered the final theory. Attempts to unite it with quantum mechanics have led to theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. However, general relativity remains a crucial and fundamental theory in our understanding of the universe.