Learn Classical Mechanics: Prerequisites for Goldstein's Book

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goldstein
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person enjoyed using Marion & Thornton's Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems for their mechanics course and is now planning to self-study Goldstein's Classical Mechanics. The other person mentions that there is no need to read any additional books before starting Goldstein, as much of the material is already covered in M&T. They recommend starting with the chapters on special relativity and Lagrangian to get familiar with the notation, and then moving on to Hamiltonian formalism. They also mention that at their university, Goldstein is used for advanced analytical mechanics after using M&T for introductory mechanics.
Winzer
I used Marion & Thornton's Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems for my upper division mechanics course and liked it. I want to self study Goldstein's Classical Mechanics. Are there any books that I should read before going Goldstein?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope! If you were comfortable with M&T, I can't think of anything in Goldstein that you shouldn't be ready for.

Much of material in Goldstein is already covered in M&T. Maybe start with the chapter about special relativity in Goldstein, and the one with Lagrangian, do get to know the notation, then start with Hamilton formalism of Mechanics then you are on the train.

At my university we first start with mechanics and analytical mechanics with M&T then at advanced Analytical Mechanics we do second half of Goldstein.

1. What is the main purpose of learning classical mechanics?

The main purpose of learning classical mechanics is to understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the motion of objects in the physical world. It provides a foundation for understanding more complex theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge before diving into Goldstein's book on classical mechanics?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before attempting to read Goldstein's book. A thorough understanding of these mathematical concepts is essential for understanding the equations and concepts in classical mechanics.

3. Can I learn classical mechanics without a background in physics?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a formal education in the subject to learn classical mechanics. As long as you have a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to learn, you can grasp the concepts and principles of classical mechanics.

4. What are the key topics that I should focus on before tackling Goldstein's book?

Some key topics to focus on before diving into Goldstein's book include vector calculus, Newton's laws of motion, conservation laws, and basic principles of energy and momentum. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of calculus of variations and Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of classical mechanics in real-world situations?

Classical mechanics has a wide range of applications in everyday life, from designing structures and machines to understanding the motion of planets and satellites. It is also the basis for many engineering and scientific fields, including aerospace, robotics, and physics. By learning classical mechanics, you will gain a deeper understanding of the physical world and how it works.