• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

From nC to mJ?

• Thread starter Marte82
  • Start date
Hi!

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to convert charge (in Coloumb) into energy (Joule). I know It's not just a quick and easy formula, but I would be most glad if anybody is able to help me..

:shy:

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi!

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to convert charge (in Coloumb) into energy (Joule). I know It's not just a quick and easy formula, but I would be most glad if anybody is able to help me..

:shy:
This conversion isn't possible without knowing that PROCESS this is relevant to. For example, one can do such a conversion for the amount of charge emitted per second from a photocathode that is detected by an anode via the measured photocurrent.

But without more description from you, this is impossible to do.

Zz.

This conversion isn't possible without knowing that PROCESS this is relevant to. For example, one can do such a conversion for the amount of charge emitted per second from a photocathode that is detected by an anode via the measured photocurrent.

But without more description from you, this is impossible to do.

Zz.
I'm doing an experiment with static electricity; measuring the discharge (in nC) from a charged material by an electrode conected to a capacitor and a oscilloscope. And I want to know how big the energy is(so I can know weather the spark has enough energy to be an ignition source). Unfortunately I don't know the time for the discharge or the charging of the capacitor...

berkeman
Mentor
If you know the capacitance, there is an equation relating the energy stored (in Joules) to the capacitance and the voltage. Do you know this equation?

If you know the capacitance, there is an equation relating the energy stored (in Joules) to the capacitance and the voltage. Do you know this equation?
The capasitor is 100 microFarat. What equation?

berkeman
Mentor