1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From nC to mJ?

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to convert charge (in Coloumb) into energy (Joule). I know It's not just a quick and easy formula, but I would be most glad if anybody is able to help me..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This conversion isn't possible without knowing that PROCESS this is relevant to. For example, one can do such a conversion for the amount of charge emitted per second from a photocathode that is detected by an anode via the measured photocurrent.

But without more description from you, this is impossible to do.

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    I'm doing an experiment with static electricity; measuring the discharge (in nC) from a charged material by an electrode conected to a capacitor and a oscilloscope. And I want to know how big the energy is(so I can know weather the spark has enough energy to be an ignition source). Unfortunately I don't know the time for the discharge or the charging of the capacitor...
  5. Mar 28, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

If you know the capacitance, there is an equation relating the energy stored (in Joules) to the capacitance and the voltage. Do you know this equation?
  6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    The capasitor is 100 microFarat. What equation?
  7. Mar 28, 2007 #6

Staff: Mentor

This page discusses capacitors in general, and will help you figure out the equation for the stored energy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?