From Nebuchadnezzar to Saddam Hussein?

Saddam has, on numerous occasions, called himself the “successor” to two of the most famous figures from Iraq’s history: the Neo-Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar II of the sixth century BCE, and the Moslem warrior Saladin of the 12th century. Nebuchadnezzar occupies a prominent place in the Hebrew Bible as the victorious conqueror of Jerusalem. In 586 BCE, he laid the city waste, destroyed Solomon’s Temple, and exiled the Jews to Babylon. Saladin is familiar as a mighty warrior of the armies of Islam. After the Christian forces of the First Crusade captured Jerusalem in year 1099, he rallied the Islamic armies and recaptured the city less than 90 years later.
http://www.gwu.edu/~bygeorge/030403/clineedit.html
I've been wondering about this since I have heard the conspiracy theorists touting it. Some go so far as to say that Saddam believes he is the reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar and means to destroy Jerusalem in order to bring about armageddon.
Does any one else know anything about this and how accurate some of the claims may be? I'm not sure if I'll have much time to research tonight before I'm offline.

Answers and Replies

Tarheel
Saladin is familiar as a mighty warrior of the armies of Islam. After the Christian forces of the First Crusade captured Jerusalem in year 1099, he rallied the Islamic armies and recaptured the city less than 90 years later.
This is the plot to the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" recently released on DVD.
Not much more to add, but check out the movie if you get a chance.

I give it 2 thumbzOrs up! :cool:

Dunno how much this document helps you, but it IS interesting:

http://williamhenry.net/documents/saddam.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: