Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From nucleotides to DNA

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    Given high and approximately equal concentrations of nucleotides Adenine, Cytosine, Guanine and Thymine in aqueous solution, how readily could a simple DNA molecule form there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd need the backbone sugars, too.

- Warren
  4. Feb 14, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be precise, it's a sugar-phosphate backbone (alternating), where every sugar has a nucleotide base attached.
  5. Feb 14, 2006 #4
    Alright, make the solution a balance of appropriate sugars, phosphates and nucleotides.
  6. Feb 14, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't think this would auto-assemble into anything you would recognize as DNA. Nirenberg's famous auto-assembly of poly-uracyl RNA used a starter "sap", the crushed cytoplasm from a bacterium, along with the test tube of uracyl. See http://history.nih.gov/exhibits/nirenberg/HS4_polyU.htm
  7. Feb 15, 2006 #6

In my work (for a mental health line), I refer people to NIH quite often. Thanks for the link to that wonderful story, of which I was unaware until now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?