From QED to Maxwell: Exploring Lagrangian Transformations

In summary: Edit: Think I answered my own question. I'm going to have to write this up tomorrow. Thanks for your help, Bob.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the classical Lagrangian from the QED Lagrangian density. The speaker expands the covariant derivative and uses gauge invariance and Noether's theorem to obtain the conserved current. They then try to include the kinetic part of the Lagrangian, but have trouble with the mass term. They try to use the Hamilton-Jacobi approach and ultimately derive the solution for the electrodynamic Lagrangian.
Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have some confusion as to how to get from the QED Lagrangian to ordinary electrodynamics. Beginning with the QED Lagrangian (density):

[tex]\mathcal L = \bar{\psi} (i\gamma^{\mu} D_{\mu} - m) \psi - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

I expand the covariant derivative [itex]D = \partial - iqA[/tex] to obtain

[tex]\mathcal L = \bar{\psi} i\gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi + q \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi A_{\mu} - m \bar{\psi} \psi - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

From here, one can either add a total divergence, or take the sum

[tex]\frac12 (\mathcal L + \mathcal L^{\dagger}) = \frac12 \bar{\psi} i \gamma^{\mu} \overleftrightarrow{\partial_{\mu}} \psi + q \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi A_{\mu} - m \bar{\psi} \psi - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

which I kinda like because it is more symmetrical. Anyway, using gauge invariance and Noether's theorem, we can get the conserved current

[tex]j^{\mu} = q \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi[/tex]

This couples to the EM field in the usual way,

[tex]\mathcal L = j^{\mu}A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

But now the question is, how do I include the kinetic part of the Lagrangian? I would like to end up with something like

[tex]\mathcal L = m \sqrt{\dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu}} + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

but I can't seem to do anything with my current [itex]j^{\mu}[/itex] that resembles the kinetic part of the QED Lagrangian. The 4-divergence identically vanishes (by Noether's theorem), so the only scalar I can form is

[tex]j^{\mu} j_{\mu} = q^2 (\bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi) (\bar{\psi} \gamma_{\mu} \psi)[/tex]

which I can't see how to simplify. Maybe I am missing something. Maybe what I am trying to do can't actually be done? Basically, I'd like to rewrite the QED Lagrangian in terms of [itex]j^{\mu}[/itex], and (hopefully) recover the classical Lagrangian. Any suggestions?

Edit:

Ah, I see one thing I can try. I might be able to make something of it by exploiting

[tex]i\partial_{\mu} = (i \partial_t, i \vec \nabla) = (E, - \vec p) = p_{\mu}[/tex]

I'll look into this later.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ben Niehoff said:
But now the question is, how do I include the kinetic part of the Lagrangian? I would like to end up with something like

[tex]\mathcal L = m \sqrt{\dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu}} + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Basically, I'd like to rewrite the QED Lagrangian in terms of [itex]j^{\mu}[/itex], and (hopefully) recover the classical Lagrangian. Any suggestions?
This is possible, but don't expect a square root. This is because we are
dealing with the Lagrangian density so all terms of the classical Lagrangian
pick up an extra gamma term due to the Lorentz contraction of the volume.

You can see this happening in equation 22.31 going to 22.32 here:

http://physics-quest.org/Book_Chapter_Lagrangian.pdf

You also might want to read section 22.3

Now, the kinetical part of the Lagrangian also represents quadratic terms
in the form of E^2 - p^2, because if you look at.

[tex] \frac12 \bar{\psi} i \gamma^{\mu} \overleftrightarrow{\partial_{\mu}} \psi [/tex]

then you see that [itex]\gamma^\mu[/itex] makes it a vector current {p0,px,py,pz} and the
derivative operating on the imaginary exponential then multiplies these
into a quadratic kinetic expression {p0^2-px^2-py^2-pz^2}Regards, Hans

Last edited:
OK, that helps, but there is still the mass term

[tex]m \bar \psi \psi[/tex]

which I can't seem to do anything with. If psi is a plane wave

[tex]\psi = u(p,s) e^{-ip \cdot x}[/tex]

then I get

[tex]m \bar \psi \psi = m \bar u u = \frac{m^2}{E_p}[/tex]

leaving me with the Lagrangian

[tex]L = m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} - \frac{m^2}{E_p} + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

However, the Lagrangian I ought to be able to get is

[tex]L = \frac12 m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

But here I'm not sure what to do. If I expand

[tex]\frac{m^2}{E_p} = \frac{m}{\sqrt{1 + \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu}}} = m \left( 1 - \frac12 \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} + ... \right)[/tex]

then I get something that is close to what I need. But it doesn't make sense that I would have to make an expansion here...

Edit: Actually, that last line is wrong. I'll fix it in a bit.

It seems to me that you have to try

[tex]
\psi => e^{-iS(x)}
[/tex]

as in the Hamilton-Jacoby approach.

Bob.

Hamilton–Jacobi equations...

The solution I derived based upon the Hamilton–Jacobi equation, specifically the Eikonal approximation and relationship to the Schrödinger equation:

S represent the phase of a wave with unitless exponential argument:
[tex]\psi = \psi_{0} e^{\frac{iS}{\hbar}}[/tex]

Electrodynamic Lagrangian:
[tex]L = m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} - m \bar \psi \psi + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

The Lagrangian mass term Lagrangian Hamilton–Jacobi Eikonal identity:
[tex]m \bar \psi \psi = m \bar u u = \frac{m^2}{E_p} = \frac{1}{2} m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu}[/tex]

Lagrangian integration by substitution:
[tex]L = m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} - \frac{1}{2} m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Electrodynamic Lagrangian solution:
[tex]\boxed{L = \frac{1}{2} m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu} + q \dot x^{\mu} A_{\mu} - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}}[/tex]

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilt...elationship_to_the_Schr.C3.B6dinger_equation"

Last edited by a moderator:

Orion1 said:
The Lagrangian mass term Lagrangian Hamilton–Jacobi Eikonal identity:
[tex]m \bar \psi \psi = m \bar u u = \frac{m^2}{E_p} = \frac{1}{2} m \dot x^{\mu} \dot x_{\mu}[/tex]

You lost me here. How do you establish the last equals sign? That's the crucial step.

1. What is the main concept behind "From QED to Maxwell: Exploring Lagrangian Transformations"?

The main concept behind "From QED to Maxwell: Exploring Lagrangian Transformations" is to understand the relationship between quantum electrodynamics (QED) and classical electromagnetism through the use of Lagrangian transformations. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles that govern these two theories.

2. How are Lagrangian transformations used in this exploration?

Lagrangian transformations are used to transform the equations of motion in classical electromagnetism to a form that is more similar to the equations in quantum electrodynamics. This allows for a comparison and analysis of the two theories.

3. What are the benefits of exploring Lagrangian transformations?

Exploring Lagrangian transformations allows for a deeper understanding of the connections between different theories and concepts in physics. It also provides a more elegant and concise way of expressing equations and can potentially lead to new insights and discoveries.

4. Is prior knowledge of quantum electrodynamics and classical electromagnetism necessary for understanding this exploration?

While prior knowledge of these theories may be helpful, it is not necessary. The exploration is designed to be accessible to both beginners and experts in the field of physics.

5. What are the potential applications of the insights gained from this exploration?

The insights gained from this exploration can have various applications, such as improving our understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields and particles at the quantum level. It can also potentially lead to advancements in technology and the development of new theories and models in physics.