1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From spherical to cylindrical

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I have an expression on the form
    [tex]
    df(v, \theta, \phi) = v e^{-v^2/C}\cos(\theta)v^2\sin(\theta)\,dv\,d\theta\,d\phi
    [/tex]
    and I am trying to write it in cylindrical coordinates. Note that θ runs from 0..π, v is a velocity and C a real constant. So I wish to write it in terms of a radial and axial velocity, vr and vz.

First I thought of integrating out θ and [itex]\phi[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] is easily done, and it yields 2π. However, the integral over θ yields 0. Am I doing this wrong?

The result should yield something proportional to

[tex]
    v_re^{-v_r^2/C^2}v_ze^{-v_z^2/C^2}\,dv_r\,dv_z
    [/tex]

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In spherical coordinates the integral over theta runs 0 to pi.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    Hi

Thanks for replying. The integral of cos(theta)sin(theta) over 0..pi gives 0.

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, right. I looked at the sin(theta) and didn't see the other term.

6. May 4, 2012 #5
    OK, I am taking a different approach now. Now I use [itex]v_r = v\cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]v_z = v\sin(\theta)[/itex]. This gives me
    [tex]
    v_rv_zv\,dv\,d\theta
    [/tex]
    Then I use (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system) that [itex]\arctan(v_r/v_z)[/itex] and [itex]v=\sqrt(v_r^2+v_z^2)[/itex] to find dv/dvr and dθ/dvz. However, don't get the desired results.

Is my approach wrong?

Best,
    Niles.

7. May 4, 2012 #6

sharks

Gold Member

Basically, what you're trying to do is express a complete sphere with radius = v, in terms of cylindrical coordinates, with density [itex]v e^{-v^2/C}\cos(\theta)[/itex]. So, forget about the density for now, and focus on the conversion to cylindrical coordinates. Afterwards, plug in the density.

8. May 4, 2012 #7
    Thanks for taking the time to help me. For the conversion I get
    [tex]
    v e^{-v^2/C}\cos(\theta)v^2\sin(\theta) = v_rv_zv e^{-\sqrt{v_r^2+v_z^2}/C}
    [/tex]
    I have used the relations I linked to above. Can I get a hint to how I should take care of the density?

Best wishes,
    Niles.

9. May 4, 2012 #8
    Ahh, I think I get it now. So what you mean is that
    [tex]
    v\,dvd\theta = dv_r\,dv_z
    [/tex]

Then it adds up!

10. May 4, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In cylindrical coordinates r measures the distance from the origin to the foot of the projection from the point to the xy-plane. The line from the origin to the point in 3 dimensions, the line from the origin to the point at the foot of the projection and the projection form a straight line with hypotenuse of length [itex]\rho[/itex], angle [itex]\pi/2- \phi[/itex], "opposite side" of length z, and "near side" of length r. That is, the point that has spherical coordinates [itex]\rho[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex] has cylindrical coordinates [itex]r= \rho sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]\theta= \theta[/itex] and [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex].

Here, I have used the mathematics convention that [itex]\theta[/itex] is the "longitude" and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the "co-latitude". The physics convention reverses that.

11. May 4, 2012 #10

sharks

Gold Member

My understanding of the problem is in the attached graph below.
    In this problem, [itex]\phi[/itex] is substituted by [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] is replaced by [itex]\phi[/itex], and [itex]\rho[/itex] is replaced by v.

So, a description of the sphere would be:
    For [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] fixed, [itex]v[/itex] varies from 0 to v.
    For [itex]\phi[/itex] fixed, [itex]\theta[/itex] varies from 0 to ∏.
    [itex]\phi[/itex] varies from 0 to 2∏.

The corresponding description in terms of cylindrical coordinates would be:
    For [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] fixed, [itex]z[/itex] varies from [itex]-\sqrt{v^2-v^2\sin^2\theta}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{v^2-v^2\sin^2\theta}[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]\arctan ({\frac {r}{z}})[/itex].
    For [itex]\phi[/itex] fixed, [itex]r[/itex] varies from 0 to v.
    [itex]\phi[/itex] varies from 0 to 2∏.

For the integrand:
    [tex]v e^{-v^2/C}\cos(\theta)[/tex]Replace [itex]\theta[/itex] by [itex]\arctan ({\frac {r}{z}})[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] by [itex]\sqrt{r^2+z^2}[/itex].

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  12. May 4, 2012 #11
    Thanks for the help, both of you.

Best,
    Niles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook