Exploring the Quantum Theory of Magnetism: From Sum to Integral

In summary: I believe both of those should be equal; if you take the integral at 4\pi and then divide by 16\pi^2, it should be equal to taking the integral at 2\pi and dividing by 4\pi^2, correct?
Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason, there was no page 266 for me. But anyway, it's because of the limit definition of an integral, which works for double integrals just as it does a single integral. A nice overview of this can be found here.

danielu13 said:
For some reason, there was no page 266 for me. But anyway, it's because of the limit definition of an integral, which works for double integrals just as it does a single integral. A nice overview of this can be found here.

Why integrals are from zero to ##2\pi##. Why not
##\rightarrow \frac{1}{16\pi^2}\int^{4\pi}_0\int^{4\pi}_0...##

I believe both of those should be equal; if you take the integral at 4[itex]\pi[/itex] and then divide by 16[itex]\pi^2[/itex], it should be equal to taking the integral at 2[itex]\pi[/itex] and dividing by 4[itex]\pi^2[/itex], correct?

danielu13 said:
I believe both of those should be equal; if you take the integral at 4[itex]\pi[/itex] and then divide by 16[itex]\pi^2[/itex], it should be equal to taking the integral at 2[itex]\pi[/itex] and dividing by 4[itex]\pi^2[/itex], correct?

So you said that I can go from sum to integral in the way

[tex]\rightarrow \frac{1}{a^2}\int^{a}_0\int^{a}_0...[/tex]?

danielu13 said:
Well look for example ##lim_{N\to \infty}\frac{1}{N}\sum_{q_1,q_2)ln(q_1-2\pi)##. Is it the same? How I go from that sum to integral?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a sum and an integral?

A sum is a mathematical operation that involves adding numbers together, while an integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. In other words, a sum deals with discrete values while an integral deals with continuous values.

2. Why is it important to understand the concept of "From sum to integral"?

Understanding how to convert from a sum to an integral is important because it allows us to solve more complex mathematical problems involving continuous functions and their areas. It also has various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you convert a sum to an integral?

To convert a sum to an integral, we use the concept of Riemann sums which involves dividing the interval of the function into smaller and smaller subintervals. We then use the limit as the subintervals approach zero to find the precise area under the curve.

4. What are some common methods used to evaluate integrals?

Some common methods used to evaluate integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These methods allow us to solve different types of integrals and simplify complex integrals into more manageable forms.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of "From sum to integral"?

One example of a real-life application of converting from sum to integral is calculating the average speed of a moving object. By finding the area under the velocity-time graph, we can determine the average speed of the object during a specific time interval. This is just one of many applications in physics and engineering where the concept of "From sum to integral" is utilized.