Front Page Squeeze - Fixing an Overly Long Title

• Thread starter Vanadium 50
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an issue with the front page layout being squeezed to one side due to a long magazine title. The suggested solution is to hide the "stay connected" panel, but it is also noted that the issue may be due to the magazine title being in a non-Roman language. Some users are not experiencing the issue, and it is speculated that it may be due to adblocker.
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
I'm seeing the front page all squeezed to one side. It appears that the title of one of the Free Industry Resources is so long that it squeezes everything else to the left (see attached image). Can I do anything? If not, can you do anything?

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    140.4 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
You can hide the stay connected screen by pressing the little triangle of squares at the top right of the stay connected panel. That might help. It appears that one of the magazine titles is broken. :confused:

Kurdt said:
It appears that one of the magazine titles is broken. :confused:

It's probably in some language that doesn't use Roman letters. Martian, perhaps.

Argh, how are we supposed to keep them under wraps if they keep advertising? :frown:

Strange; I'm not getting anything like that. Are you perhaps on a Windows-burner? I'm running Safari through Tiger on a MacBook, and everything is fine. :confused:

Has someone removed them (perhaps as a temporary fix to the problem)? I don't even see those resources on my front page, and I know they used to be there. So, I can neither confirm nor deny whether that problem would happen to me if I saw those resources.

Here's mine. Current time 10:27 p.m. Mountain time. This one, obviously, is in Firefox on a PC, and Explorer has the same appearance.

page.jpg

That's what I get as well, Georgina. In general, that is, going by size. My right-hand column includes all members who are on-line, Sci-Am updates, etc.. I can't, even with my reading glasses, see what yours shows.

I get all of that stuff on the right-hand side too, Danger. I just took a screen shot of it scrolled down the spot that mucked up Vanadium's screen. And I squished it. :smile:

GeorginaS said:
And I squished it. :smile:

You're an evil creature, torturing those of us with fading eyesight. :biggrin:

That's odd. I still don't see any of those "industry resources." None, not even a place for them. I know I used to see them. I didn't really care that they were there, since they were out of the way and down on the bottom. I don't remember turning anything off, and don't see anything collapsed near that part of the page. Maybe they figured out I'm in the wrong industry for them to be of any use to me (don't worry, I don't need them back either, since none were relevant for me, but it seems odd everyone else still sees them and I don't). I'm running a Mac OS 10.5.8, with Firefox 3.5.2. Are they something adblock would block? I do have that on, but I don't think that affected those before.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Is this still being experienced?

I'm still experiencing not seeing any of those resources. Though, you probably meant the squeeze part.

1. How do I know if my title is too long?

The general rule of thumb is to keep your title under 60 characters. You can also use online tools or check the character count in your word processing program to determine the length of your title.

2. Why is having a long title a problem?

A long title can affect the readability and visual appeal of your front page. It may also make it difficult for readers to remember or share your content. Additionally, search engines may truncate your title, making it less effective for SEO.

3. How can I fix an overly long title?

There are a few options for fixing an overly long title. You can try rewriting your title to be more concise and to the point. You can also consider breaking up your title into a headline and subheading, or using a shorter version of your title as a headline and providing more detail in the subheading.

4. What are some tips for creating an effective front page title?

Avoid using unnecessary words and be as specific as possible. Use strong, attention-grabbing language and include relevant keywords. Keep your title under 60 characters and make sure it accurately reflects the content of your page.

5. Can I use numbers or symbols in my title?

Yes, using numbers or symbols in your title can make it more eye-catching and help it stand out. However, make sure they are relevant and add value to your title. Avoid using excessive numbers or symbols, as it may make your title look spammy.