Solving Frouier Series Problem: Finding Partial Sums for Periodic Function

• Thread starter hazim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the person tried to integrate a function using an office 2007 spreadsheet and got incorrect results.
hazim
[SOLVED] Frouier series problem

Lately I took Frouier series...

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series of the function below which is assumed to have the period 2 [tex]\pi[/tex], and find the first three partial sums.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1650739_untitled.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used office 2007 to write my solution...and here they are hosted as a picture..
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1650792_untitled1.JPG

I see my answer not correct, I hope someone helps me..Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct to integrate from -pi to pi in the integral, but your function is non-zero over that entire interval, so I do not know why you have the function value as 0 in [tex][-\pi , -\pi/2][/tex] and [tex][\pi/2 , \pi][/tex].

Also I believe your constant in front of your integral for a_n is incorrect. The constant in front of that integral should be:

[tex]\frac{2}{Period}=\frac{2}{2\pi}=\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]

Last edited:
sorry, there is a wrong in the picture of the function...the correction is
-2Pi becomes -Pi; -Pi becomes -Pi/2; Pi becomes P/2; and 2Pi becomes Pi.

so 'GO' the 0's in the integrals you specified becomes right with me..and you are correct about a_n, it should be 1/Pi and the same in the denominator of the cosine in that line..

hazim said:
sorry, there is a wrong in the picture of the function...the correction is
-2Pi becomes -Pi; -Pi becomes -Pi/2; Pi becomes P/2; and 2Pi becomes Pi.

so 'GO' the 0's in the integrals you specified becomes right with me..and you are correct about a_n, it should be 1/Pi and the same in the denominator of the cosine in that line..

OK your integration makes sense then.

BTW. I usually imagine my PF name being pronounces "G Zero One." :wink:

So, was the constant your problem or do are you still having trouble?

yes it was the constant..it's now solved..thanks

Glad to be of help.:smile:

What is a Fourier series problem?

A Fourier series problem is a mathematical problem that involves representing a periodic function as a sum of simple trigonometric functions. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of a given function over a specific time period.

How do you solve a Fourier series problem?

To solve a Fourier series problem, you first need to determine the period of the function and identify any discontinuities. Then, you can use the Fourier series formula and apply it to the function to calculate the coefficients of the trigonometric functions. Finally, you can use these coefficients to construct the Fourier series representation of the function.

What are the applications of Fourier series problems?

Fourier series problems have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and understand the behavior of periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and heat transfer.

What are the limitations of Fourier series problems?

One of the limitations of Fourier series problems is that they can only be used to represent periodic functions. They also require the function to be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. In addition, they may not accurately represent functions with sharp corners or spikes.

How is a Fourier series problem related to Fourier transforms?

A Fourier series problem is a special case of a Fourier transform, which is a mathematical operation that converts a function from its time or spatial domain to its frequency domain. While Fourier series problems deal with periodic functions, Fourier transforms can be applied to non-periodic functions as well.