Fruit Fly Observation: A Christmas Gift from AP Bio

In summary, a person received a vial of fruit flies from their AP Biology teacher as a Christmas gift. They plan to observe the flies for two weeks and then study genetics by breeding them. There was a typo in the conversation where "vial" was mistakenly spelled as "vile." The person mentions feeling inadequate about breeding small women and jokes about rupturing a fruit fly. They also mention their current concern of finding a job and their plans to start breeding the fruit flies after the break. The conversation also includes a comment about distinguishing between male and female fruit flies and a joke about fruit flying after bad theatre plays.
binzing
I got a vial of fruit flies from my AP Biology teacher for Christmas, lol. Gotta observe them for two weeks and then we're going to study genetics by breeding them.

Physics news on Phys.org
...there's a little typo there, binzing...you got a vile of flies. Surely "vile" is the plural of "fly".

binzing said:
we're going to study genetics by breeding them.

Bloody hell! I've bred some pretty small women, and felt inadequate, but I think that even I would rupture a fruit fly.

Lol danger and lisa. Good to see you Danger, how's life?

binzing said:
Good to see you Danger, how's life?

I'm still in it; that's my primary concern. A job would be nice, but I can hold out for a month or so. (Longer if necessary, but I don't want my wife supporting me.)

Hey, that sounds like fun! Can you distinguish the males from the females yet? :smile:

So when I saw the title of the thread I thought "theory devellopment"? I've never seen fruit flying except after bad theatre plays.

time flies like an arrow...

I don't think so Monique, for now we're just keeping them over break so they don't freeze to death at school and so they can reproduce. Then after break we're going to start the crosses, I think.

What is "Fruit Fly Observation: A Christmas Gift from AP Bio" about?

"Fruit Fly Observation: A Christmas Gift from AP Bio" is an activity where students observe and record the behavior and characteristics of fruit flies in order to better understand genetics and inheritance.

Why is observing fruit flies important in the study of genetics?

Fruit flies have a short life cycle and reproduce quickly, making them ideal for studying genetic traits and inheritance patterns. They also share many genetic similarities with humans, making their observations applicable to understanding human genetics.

What materials are needed for "Fruit Fly Observation: A Christmas Gift from AP Bio"?

The materials needed for this activity include vials or containers to house the fruit flies, cotton balls or foam plugs for the vials, fruit fly food, a magnifying glass or microscope, and a chart or notebook for recording observations.

How long does the "Fruit Fly Observation: A Christmas Gift from AP Bio" activity typically take?

The length of the activity can vary depending on the number of fruit flies being observed and the level of detail in recording observations. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to several days to complete.

What are some potential observations students can make during this activity?

Students can observe and record the physical characteristics of the fruit flies, such as wing shape and eye color, as well as behavioral traits like flying patterns and mating behavior. They can also track the inheritance of traits by breeding different fruit fly populations and observing the traits of their offspring.