Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fruit Flies

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    I got a vial of fruit flies from my AP Biology teacher for Christmas, lol. Gotta observe them for two weeks and then we're going to study genetics by breeding them.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...there's a little typo there, binzing....you got a vile of flies. Surely "vile" is the plural of "fly".

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Bloody hell! I've bred some pretty small women, and felt inadequate, but I think that even I would rupture a fruit fly.

5. Dec 18, 2008 #4
    Lol danger and lisa. Good to see you Danger, how's life?

6. Dec 19, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I'm still in it; that's my primary concern. A job would be nice, but I can hold out for a month or so. (Longer if necessary, but I don't want my wife supporting me.)

7. Dec 19, 2008 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, that sounds like fun! Can you distinguish the males from the females yet? :smile:

8. Dec 19, 2008 #7
    So when I saw the title of the thread I thought "theory devellopment"? I've never seen fruit flying except after bad theatre plays.

9. Dec 19, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

time flies like an arrow...

10. Dec 19, 2008 #9
    I don't think so Monique, for now we're just keeping them over break so they don't freeze to death at school and so they can reproduce. Then after break we're gonna start the crosses, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?