1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frustrated with finding basis

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    Hey guys

There are so many of these damn "Find a basis" questions and I can't get any of them because we never directly learned how...or she never showed us in class...my final exam is tomorrow.

Here are some examples of questions:

http://184.154.165.18/~devilthe/uploads/1323453294.png

http://184.154.165.18/~devilthe/uploads/1323430492.png

Part D

I have zero idea how they solve these...

I know that a basis is a linearly independent spanning set...but how to solve these questions? No idea.

Can there be more than one basis for a question?

Thanks,
    Elliott

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A basis is a set of vectors (or matrices in this problem) that is linearly independent and spans the (sub)space. A vector (sub)space can have many bases.

For d, start by playing with the equation that defines the subspace V, using an arbitrary matrix X, where
    [tex]X = \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any polynomial, of degree 2, is of the form [itex]p(x)= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex]. [itex]p'(x)= 2ax+ b[/itex] Requiring that p'(1)= 0 means that 2a+ b= 0 so b= -2a. That is, for any p in this set, [itex]p(x)= ax^2- 2ax+ c= a(x^2- 2)+ c(1)[/itex]. Now, what is a basis for that set?

Any 2 by 2 matrix is of the form
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

We require that
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Multiply those, set corresponding term equal, and see what you get.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4
    Thanks guys.

Anyway I just did my linear exam today so hopefully I never have to see linear ever again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook