Corporate Chaos: The Dangers of Buzzwords and Faddish Business Philosophies

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conference
In summary, the individual(s) in the story despise the word "irregardless", and find it annoying when people use it. They also mention that it has different meanings depending on who is using it and why.
Dembadon
Gold Member
While on a conference call, I learned a new word: cross-collaboration. Neat, huh? I almost spit-up my coffee. My boss and I had a good chuckle, while on mute, and it wasn't until an hour or so later that it actually began to really irritate me.

This person, who probably makes a nauseatingly high salary, consistently uses a cut-and-paste method when forming words and/or sentences. Oh no, not just verbally, but also in his writing; bleeding from the eyes should not be a symptom of reading emails.

You know, if he weren't so arrogant, I don't think he'd elicit such vehement responses from people. It disgusts me that he occupies a position of such power and control without the ability to form and communicate a coherent thought. Not only that, he is unorganized; dishonest; and does not follow through with anything. He is completely unprepared every single week. I feel like screaming, "What do you do all day?!

"Power-tie1"

You are atonal.
Your "contributions" shipwreck effulgent ideas.
The pile of excrement, floating lazily in your cerebrospinal fluid,
is the vanguard of our pathetic, weekly encounter.
Through the door you hold open with an ignorant courtesy,
run savage, murderous conglomerations of words; relentlessly slaying anything
that resembles structure, intelligence, or beauty.
May God have mercy on our souls.

-Dembadon

1: Name(s) have been changed to reveal the true identity of the individual(s) in the story.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LOL..."You're fired."

Cyrus said:
LOL..."You're fired."

Power-tie has no way of proving who I am.

Dembadon said:
While on a conference call, I learned a new word: cross-collaboration

My favorite word to hate is using 'solution' as a verb ("How are you going to solution this?") Fortunately, I don't hear it much anymore...

hotvette said:
My favorite word to hate is using 'solution' as a verb ("How are you going to solution this?") Fortunately, I don't hear it much anymore...

Mine is "tasked": "I've been tasked with creating an inventory of the lab."

Here are a few more:

Action items: "What are the action items for this week?"

Reaching out: "I'll reach out to so-and-so and see if they can give me a status report."

Synergy, synergize, or any other form of this repulsive "word," makes me want to vomit.

Having the ball: "Who has the ball on this?"

Actually, the most annoying thing I've heard on a conference call is someone breathing with a whistle in their nose. Seriously, I couldn't think of anything else that whole time.

tie-out: "I'll tie out with so and so"

leverage: "Let's leverage our relationship with ..."

on the same page: "Let's make sure we are on the same page..."

keyboard typing sounds

cell phone conversations (i.e. forgot to hit the mute button)

sneezing (or other bodily sounds)

dogs barking

Last edited:
I hate "irregardless".

Action item has always had a different meaning since I found out that it referred to a superhero. :tongue:

comic.jpg

Last edited:
Borg said:
Action item has always had a different meaning since I found out that it referred to a superhero. :tongue:

action-item-1.jpg

action-item-2.jpg

action-item-3.jpg

action-item-4.jpg

:rofl: Excellent find! The links to the photos are broken, but Googling "professional superhero" led me to the site.

Dembadon said:
:rofl: Excellent find! The links to the photos are broken, but Googling "professional superhero" led me to the site.

I had to upload a copy that I had. It seems that the site rotates the URLs for the image.

How would you like to be "incentivized". I worked in a small company in which the owner (dumb!) let himself fall prey to his GM (dumber!) that lured him into more and more ignorant business philosophies. Tossing around buzz-words, and keeping up with all the latest faddish "success" books can keep one in in favor, as long as you are working for ignorant people.

What causes conference calls to be frustrating?

There are several factors that can contribute to the frustration of conference calls. These may include technical difficulties, poor sound quality, background noise, interruptions, and lack of engagement from participants.

How can technical difficulties be avoided during conference calls?

To avoid technical difficulties, it is important to test all equipment and connections before the call. It may also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of any technical issues that may arise.

What can be done to improve sound quality during conference calls?

To improve sound quality, participants should use a reliable and high-quality microphone and speaker. It may also be helpful to minimize background noise and speak clearly and directly into the microphone.

What can be done to prevent interruptions during conference calls?

To prevent interruptions, it is important to set ground rules at the beginning of the call and remind participants to mute their microphones when they are not speaking. It may also be helpful to have a designated moderator to manage the flow of the conversation.

How can participants stay engaged during conference calls?

To stay engaged during conference calls, participants should actively listen and participate in the conversation. They can also use visual aids, such as screen sharing or video conferencing, to keep everyone visually engaged. It may also be helpful to take breaks and avoid multitasking during the call.

Back