1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frustrum of a pyramid

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    Find the volume of frustum of a pyramid with square base of side b, square top of side a, and height h.

Usually when I do these volume problems, I treat them as an equation rotating around an axis, but this object has flat sides so I don't know how to begin.

The solid looks like that.

I know I need to make an integral from 0 to h of the area of the square but while I usually replace the radius in the formula with an equation, I cannot do so here.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    Yes you can: Let s(y) be the length of the side of the square at height y. You know that s(0) = b and s(h) = a. You also know that s(y) has to a linear function of y. (Why?) Use these facts to find s(y).
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    So S(y) is (a - b)x / h ?
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    I think you meant (a - b)y / h. You know this is not it because when y = h, it yields a - b. You want it to yield just a.
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    Oh whoop, I should have seen my linear equation needed a "+ b" on the end based on the 0,b point. So the equation should look like s(y) = (a-b)y/h + b ?
  7. Mar 21, 2008 #6
    You got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?