Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I FT of a pulse

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    Dear All,
    Suppose we have a electromagnetic/x-ray pulse with fixed energy with finite line width. I want to know the schematic of a plot how it looks in time- and frequency-domain?
    I think I understand in time domain: there will a straight vertical line on plotting intensity vs time in x-axis.
    Regards, raj.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

the line width you mention IS the width of the spectrum in the frequency domain.
    In that case you have a delta function; the frequency spectrum for that is a constant for all frequencies.

You have to compromise for realistic cases; the easiest is a pulse with a gaussian shape: the frequency spectrum is also a gaussian. The sharper the pulse, the wider the frequency spectrum.
    Check out some fourier transforms

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    Hello,
    So if there is a vertical line in the time domain then it will be a horizontal line in the frequency domain. If yes, please give me the physical meaning!
    Thanks, raj.

5. Sep 6, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The physical meaning is that all frequencies are present in an infinitely high and infinitely narrow spike ...

If that isn't very satisfactory: check out the link I gave you:
    • The ##\delta(t)## is second from last on page 1.
    • You can see it as a limiting case of a rectangular pulse (#4 on page 2) with ##\tau\downarrow 0##
    • Or as a limiting case of a gaussian pulse (#3 on page 3) with ##\sigma\downarrow 0##
    • etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted