Is f(x) an antiderivative of f'(x) or a family of antiderivatives?

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the function f(x) can be expressed as the integral of its derivative plus a constant, and when finding the antiderivative, the constant is arbitrary and does not affect the resulting value of the definite integral.
Jhenrique
By FTC, every function f(x) can be expessed like: [tex]f(x) = \int_{x_0}^{x}f'(u)du + f(x_0)[/tex] Now, I ask: f(x) is a antiderivative of f'(x) or is a family of antiderivative of f'(x) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
By FTC, every function f(x) can be expessed like: [tex]f(x) = \int_{x_0}^{x}f'(u)du + f(x_0)[/tex] Now, I ask: f(x) is a antiderivative of f'(x) or is a family of antiderivative of f'(x) ?
f(x) is any antiderivative of f'.

Mark44 said:
f(x) is any antiderivative of f'.

That's not what I asked.

I actually did answer your question.
Jhenrique said:
f(x) is a antiderivative of f'(x) or is a family of antiderivative of f'(x) ?
f is one (pick anyone that you like) antiderivative of f'. f is not a family of antiderivatives.

Likes 1 person
Now yes!

So, you are saying (implicitly) that f(x0) is not a arbitrary constant?

Let's look at an example:
$$\int_1^x t^2 dt$$

Solution 1 -
One antiderivative of t2 is (1/3)t3. Call this F1(t). By the FTC, the integral above is equal to F1(x) - F1(1) = (1/3)x3 - 1/3

Solution 2
Another antiderivative is t2 - 3. Call this F2(t). Again, by the FTC, the integral above is equal to F2(x) - F2(1) = [(1/3)x3 - 3] - [1/3 - 3] = (1/3)x3 - 1/3. This is the same value that was obtained in solution 1.

What you get for F(t0) depends on which function you use for the antiderivative, but the resulting value of the definite integral doesn't depend on which antiderivative you pick. You can choose any function in the family of antiderivatives, without making any difference at all in the resulting value of the definite integral. For this reason, it's most convenient to work with the antiderivative for which the constant is 0.

All of this seems very straightforward to me. Is there something I'm missing in what you're asking?

Sorry my arrogance, but I still didn't understood if f(x0) is a arbitrary value...

It's arbitrary in the sense that f is an unspecified antiderivative. In my two examples f(1) has two different values, depending on which antiderivative we're using. In my first example, f(1) (which I'm calling F1(1)) = 1/3. In the second example, F2(1) = 1/3 - 3 = -8/3.

For a specified antiderivative F, F(t0) is a constant, but if the particular antiderivative is not known, then we don't know the value of F(t0).

Based in your explanation, I can say that f(x0) isn't an arbitrary constant such as is an arbritrary constant C, that appears in integration*. Correct!?

*∫ydx = Y + C

Yeah, I think that's OK.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the FTC (Fundamental Theorem of Calculus)?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC) is a theorem in calculus that establishes the relationship between derivatives and integrals. It has two parts: the first part states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative, and the second part states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function.

2. What is the difference between the first and second parts of the FTC?

The first part of the FTC, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC) Part 1, states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative. The second part, or FTC Part 2, states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function. In other words, Part 1 deals with integration and Part 2 deals with differentiation.

3. How is the FTC used in calculus?

The FTC is used in calculus to evaluate integrals and find the area under a curve. It allows us to calculate definite integrals, which have specific starting and ending values, by finding the antiderivative of a function. It is also used to solve differential equations and for other applications in physics and engineering.

4. What is an indefinite integral and how is it related to the FTC?

An indefinite integral is an integral that does not have specific starting and ending values. It is represented by the symbol ∫ (the "integral" sign) followed by a function. The FTC states that the derivative of an indefinite integral is equal to the original function. This allows us to use the FTC to evaluate indefinite integrals by finding their antiderivatives.

5. Are there any limitations to the FTC?

While the FTC is a powerful tool in calculus, there are some limitations to its use. It can only be applied to continuous functions, and the integrand (the function being integrated) must be continuous on the interval of integration. Additionally, the starting and ending values of the integral must be within the domain of the function. If these conditions are not met, the FTC cannot be used to evaluate the integral.