Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ftp transfers

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm downloading linux through redhat's ftp site and from the time I went to bed last night --around 2am--- to the time I woke up this morning, 10 am, the progress meter has stayed at 93%. Now...is something wrong, or is it just being quirky and will all come eventually?

I'm on an ethernet connection..

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2003 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I find that downloading linuxs distros from their ftp sites and mirrors for some reason to be untra unreliable too. I have never been happy with it. So I went out and bought mandrake 8.1 a year ago and have been happy with the cds.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  4. Sep 9, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If the sites support resume, you can use an application like Getright to recover a broken download.

5. Sep 9, 2003 #4
    I've dl a few linux OSs, you just have to try a few sites and see which one works best for you.

JMD

6. Sep 9, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Support the distro - Buy the box set

Or if you want to be leet, create your own - instructions here -> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

7. Sep 9, 2003 #6
    HAHA. For a second I thought you suggested I build my own linux. But I guess I'll just keep trying.

Thanks guys.

-betsy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?