1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ftp transfers

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm downloading linux through redhat's ftp site and from the time I went to bed last night --around 2am--- to the time I woke up this morning, 10 am, the progress meter has stayed at 93%. Now...is something wrong, or is it just being quirky and will all come eventually?

I'm on an ethernet connection..

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2003 #2
    I find that downloading linuxs distros from their ftp sites and mirrors for some reason to be untra unreliable too. I have never been happy with it. So I went out and bought mandrake 8.1 a year ago and have been happy with the cds.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  4. Sep 9, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If the sites support resume, you can use an application like Getright to recover a broken download.

5. Sep 9, 2003 #4
    I've dl a few linux OSs, you just have to try a few sites and see which one works best for you.

JMD

6. Sep 9, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Support the distro - Buy the box set

Or if you want to be leet, create your own - instructions here -> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

7. Sep 9, 2003 #6
    HAHA. For a second I thought you suggested I build my own linux. But I guess I'll just keep trying.

Thanks guys.

-betsy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?