1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fubini's theorem help

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

I don't fully understand the usage of Fubini's theorem.

Let's say I have to compute the area of

[tex]
    \Omega \subset \mathbb{R}^2\mbox{ , }\Omega\mbox{ is bounded with }y = x^2\mbox{ and }y = x + 2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \mbox{area(\Omega)} = \iint_{\Omega} 1\ dx\ dy
    [/tex]

When I draw the situation, I easily find leftmost and rightmost point of this area, which have x-coordinates -1 and 2, respectively.

Well, Fubini tells us that the integral above can be evaluated as (in this case) two nested one-dimensional integrals. But I have problems with the lower and upper bounds.

The outer integral is clear, it will be

[tex]
    \int_{-1}^{2} ...
    [/tex]

But I'm not sure with the inner one. I know the bounds can't be 0 and 4, because that would give me the area of the whole rectangle.

So, right solution is this:

[tex]
    \iint_{\Omega} 1\ dx\ dy = \int_{-1}^{2}\left( \int_{x^2}^{x+2} 1\ dy\right)\ dx = ... = \frac{9}{2}
    [/tex]

I don't fully get it...why are the bounds of the inner integral [itex]x^2[/itex] and [itex]x+2[/itex]? I know those are the bounding curves, but in Fubini's theorem there is just

[tex]
    \int_{a_1}^{b_1} \left( \int_{a_2}^{b_2} ...
    [/tex]

Which I can't connect with the bounds in my example.

And other question - why is it

[tex]
    \int_{x^2}^{x+2}
    [/tex]

and not

[tex]
    \int_{x+2}^{x^2}\mbox{ ?}
    [/tex]

Is it because on the interval [itex](-1, 2)[/itex] the function [itex]x+2[/itex] is greater than [itex]x^2[/itex]?

Thank you very much for clarifying this...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You integrate from x^2 to x+2, because x^2 is the lower bound and x+2 the upper bound, as you can easily see from a drawing.

A way to visualize it is this. What does the inner integral mean? In this case, it is the length of the vertical line between the bounding curves as a function of x. Right? It's simply [itex](x+2)-x^2[/itex] in this case.
    A little more generally, you can use double integrals like [itex]\int_a^b \int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(x,y)dydx[/itex] to find the volume of the graph under f(x,y) in which case the inner integral will be the area under the graph obtained by intersecting the graph of f(x,y) with a vertical plane parallel to the yz-plane (or xz-plane, depending on the variable) as a function of x. The inner integral is just a function of x, and it's an area like a standard integral. Then you integrate that along y to get the total volume. If you can visualize that procedure I`m sure you see why the bounds are what they are.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  4. Jan 11, 2006 #3
    Thank you Galileo! I think it's more clear to me now. This was very easy problem, I hope I will understand the three-dimensional as well :)

5. Jan 11, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

I'm just curious: does Fubini's Theorem extend to the case of multiple integrals taken w.r.t. different measures?

Like, say the Lebesgue and counting measures?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?