Find Min/Max/Inflection Point for f(x)=3x^5-10x^3+1

• Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
The point (0, 1) is NOT an inflection point while (1, -6) and (-1, 8) are.In summary, we are asked to determine the maximum and minimum points, as well as the point of inflection for the function f(x) = 3x^5 - 10x^3 + 1. After finding the maximum and minimum points, we focus on finding the point of inflection. Our differentiation equation leads us to f''(x) = 60x^3 - 60x^2, which, when set equal to 0, gives us the values x = 0 and x = 1. However, upon further analysis, we find that f
Harmony

Homework Statement

The function f is defined as
f(x)=3x^5-10x^3+1
1) Determine the maximum and minimum points, as well the point of inflection of the graph f.

Homework Equations

All the differentiation equation.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I found the maximum point and minimum point, but I had some trouble with the inflection point.

So...
f''(x)=60x^3-60x^2
f''(x)=0,
60x^3-60x^2=0
x=0, x=1

f'''(0)=0

Hence the only inflection point is (1,-6)

But the answer given is (0,1),(1,-6)and (-1,8). Is the answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure this should be in this topic as it is calculus not precalculus.

Have another look at your differentiation, in particular check the term -60x^2 in your expression for f''(x).

Harmony said:
f''(x)=60x^3-60x^2
This second derivative is wrong. Calculate it again.

Your approach is correct though.

marlon

Harmony said:

Homework Statement

The function f is defined as
f(x)=3x^5-10x^3+1
1) Determine the maximum and minimum points, as well the point of inflection of the graph f.

Homework Equations

All the differentiation equation.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I found the maximum point and minimum point, but I had some trouble with the inflection point.

So...
f''(x)=60x^3-60x^2
f''(x)=0,
60x^3-60x^2=0
x=0, x=1

f'''(0)=0

Hence the only inflection point is (1,-6)

But the answer given is (0,1),(1,-6)and (-1,8). Is the answer correct?

f"(x)= 60x3- 60x= 60x(x2- 1)= 0
for x= 0, 1, and -1.

One definition of "inflection point" is that the second derivative changes sign there. Yes, it is true that since f '''(0)= 0, the second derivative might NOT change signs there. For example, if f ''= x2, then while f''(0)= 0, f'' does not change signs there. But f'''(0)= 0 does not mean it CAN'T change signs there. For example, if f ''= x3, then, again, f'''(x)= 3x2 so f'''(0)= 0 but x3 does change signs there.

In this particular case, f''(1/2)= 60/8- 120< 0 while f''(-1/2)= -60/8+120> 0 so f'' does change signs at 0.

1. What is the process for finding the minimum/maximum/inflection point for a polynomial function?

The process for finding the minimum/maximum/inflection point for a polynomial function involves using the first and second derivatives of the function. The first derivative is used to find the critical points of the function, where the slope of the function is equal to zero. The second derivative is then used to determine whether these critical points are minimum, maximum, or inflection points.

2. How do I find the first derivative of a polynomial function?

To find the first derivative of a polynomial function, you can use the power rule. This rule states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). For example, in the function f(x)=3x^5-10x^3+1, the first derivative would be f'(x)=15x^4-30x^2.

3. How do I use the first derivative to find critical points?

To find critical points using the first derivative, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for x. These values of x are the critical points, where the slope of the function is equal to zero. In the function f(x)=3x^5-10x^3+1, the critical points would be x=0 and x=√(2/5).

4. How do I use the second derivative to determine the nature of a critical point?

The second derivative can be used to determine the nature of a critical point by plugging in the critical point values into the second derivative. If the result is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the result is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the result is zero, the critical point is an inflection point.

5. What is the significance of finding the minimum/maximum/inflection point of a function?

Finding the minimum/maximum/inflection point of a function can provide important information about the behavior of the function. The minimum point represents the lowest point of the function, while the maximum point represents the highest point. The inflection point represents a change in the concavity of the function. These points can be used to optimize functions and understand the behavior of real-world phenomena.