Fuel Cell Engineering: Pursue Education or Job After Physics Major?

In summary, a physics major cannot easily transition to engineering because they lack the skillset needed for technology. A materials science major, on the other hand, has the skillset needed for engineering and can easily transition into engineering.
Nanotube
I have just finished my sophomore year at Columbia University with a major in physics. I chose Columbia College instead of the engineering school due to the better reputation/ranking and I was not sure whether to go into physics or engineering. However, after two years of courses, I am very much convinced that I want to do engineering, with a specific application in fuel cell technology.

Now I am at a loss, because with a major in physics, I will be unable to find any jobs that are for engineers, and the fuel cell engineering jobs that I have seen all require an engineering degree. I am also considering getting a M.S. after undergrad, but again, I am not sure of my chances of getting into graduate school for mechanical/electrical engineering with a major in physics. Does anyone have any advice as to anything I can do and which path (grad school or job) I should take? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Materials science and engineering is a field in which a lot of fuel cell research is done. There are also a lot of physics students who go to materials for grad school, so the transition is smooth

You might want to try chemical too

I should ask the student advisor about change:ing the major just about now. To be an engineer is acquiring a knack for technology, it's a whole other ball park than physics. In physics you search for truths and patterns, in technology you solve real world problems, you don't always need to know why things work, just that they will work.

You should get a material science major. It's imperative for your plans.

Fearless said:
I should ask the student advisor about change:ing the major just about now. To be an engineer is acquiring a knack for technology, it's a whole other ball park than physics. In physics you search for truths and patterns, in technology you solve real world problems, you don't always need to know why things work, just that they will work.

You should get a material science major. It's imperative for your plans.

he could easily pick up a mat sci minor too

Everyone should have a mathminor in my opinion ^^

Well, I can't easily switch to engineering because the school of engineering and Columbia College are considered two separate colleges, and I would have to apply for a transfer. What are the chances of me getting into engineering for a masters degree with a physics undergrad? I plan on taking as many engineering courses as I can in the next two years (which would be around 6-7 courses, if not more). I know that ekrim said that there are lots of phys students who go to mat sci eng for grad school, so can anyone offer me some more details as to how this could be done? Thanks.

Nanotube said:
What are the chances of me getting into engineering for a masters degree with a physics undergrad?

It's hard to speak to your specific case since it depends on a lot of factors (recommendation letters, GPA, GRE, competition for institution and program of choice, et cetera). But I can easily say this much: people do it all the bloody time. It also depends on things like the field you want to do an M.S. in, for example chemical engineering relies on preparation that most physics majors don't have so the amount of material to make up could be as large or larger than the requirements for the M.S. program. Look up or ask for what the expected preparation is for the fields you're interested in, and try to make up those competencies with electives.

Nanotube said:
Well, I can't easily switch to engineering because the school of engineering and Columbia College are considered two separate colleges, and I would have to apply for a transfer. What are the chances of me getting into engineering for a masters degree with a physics undergrad? I plan on taking as many engineering courses as I can in the next two years (which would be around 6-7 courses, if not more). I know that ekrim said that there are lots of phys students who go to mat sci eng for grad school, so can anyone offer me some more details as to how this could be done? Thanks.

Materials science is not a common undergrad major, and not every university has it. Materials science grad students come from a diverse background (physics, chemistry, mechanical, chemical, engineering physics) so a lot of departments try to assimilate them all as smoothly as possible. I know some universities give an intensive overview of materials science to all first year grad students. Contact a prospective department (of whatever engineering you're interested in, many of them take physics majors) and ask if they'd be able to accommodate you.

It may be tough for you to major in engineering, but a minor in it, or even a few engineering electives wouldn't hurt.

1. What is a fuel cell and how does it work?

A fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy from a fuel into electrical energy through a chemical reaction. It consists of an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. The fuel is typically hydrogen, and the oxygen is drawn from the air. The hydrogen molecules are separated into protons and electrons, with the protons passing through the electrolyte to the cathode, while the electrons travel through an external circuit, creating an electrical current. At the cathode, the protons and electrons recombine with oxygen to form water, the only byproduct of the reaction.

2. What is the role of physics in fuel cell engineering?

Physics plays a crucial role in fuel cell engineering, as it involves understanding the fundamental principles of energy, electricity, and chemical reactions. A strong understanding of physics is necessary to design and optimize fuel cells for maximum efficiency and performance. Additionally, physics is essential in understanding the materials used in fuel cells and their properties, such as conductivity, resistance, and durability.

3. Is a physics major the best choice for pursuing a career in fuel cell engineering?

While a physics major provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of energy and electricity, it is not the only option for pursuing a career in fuel cell engineering. Other relevant fields of study include chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on the individual's interests and career goals.

4. What are some potential career paths in fuel cell engineering for physics majors?

Physics majors can pursue various career paths in fuel cell engineering, such as research and development, design and testing, manufacturing, and consulting. They may also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, and environmental technology. With a strong understanding of physics, physics majors can contribute to the development of new and improved fuel cell technologies.

5. Should I pursue further education or seek a job after completing a physics major?

The decision to pursue further education or seek a job after completing a physics major will depend on your career goals and personal preferences. Further education, such as a graduate degree in fuel cell engineering, can provide more specialized knowledge and skills and potentially open up more opportunities for advancement. However, gaining hands-on experience through a job can also be valuable and may lead to further education opportunities later on. It is important to carefully consider your options and plan accordingly.