Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fuel cell

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    I've heard about the units that run on DC and extract O and H from water. The gases are then used on automobles to increase fuel mileage. I'd like to hear the thoughts on energe in and energy out. Also, as hybrids store energy for a finite number of power demands, can these fuel cells do a better job of storing energy and releasing it later?
    Thanks
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    According to physics these will not work. But a lot of people out there will swear they do work to improve fuel economy.... If you want to experiment with one of these, I'd recommend using a 'dry cell' sold on Ebay. Supposedly these units are reaching efficiencies of 70+ percent. Avoid scam sites such as water4gas, etc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It's been discussed in many threads, including this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=251887&page=7

Do a search for more. Please note, however, that we have a very tight leash on discussions where crackpot claims might enter in.

Regarding the question of using this for a hybrid, that isn't currently being done, but it could be. But it would not help the efficiency of the car much because it doesn't change how the energy is used. Hybrid cars use electric motors to take much of the load when cars are accelerating, while a hydrogen-based car would still be using combustion in the engine. Acceleration is where the efficiency of an internal combustion powered car is by far at its worst.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?