Fukushima: Unit 2 Discharge - Why Differs from Units 1 & 3?

In summary, Unit 2 of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant emitted more radioactive material than Units 1 and 3. This may be due to a different pressure situation inside the reactor vessel.
tsutsuji said:
<..>
[Do you think the whitish "dust" can be salt ?]

Ah :-). Finally a question on my homefield. If you mean salt = NaCl, then no, it is clear if you zoom that the "dust" once dried up can well be wetted, but is not that easily washed away. If it were just NaCl, then it would, due to its high solubility. If you mean salt = ionic compounds, then yes, likely the "dust" would in the main be a mixture of dried up, relatively insoluble salts. E.g. Carbonates, oxides, mixed hydroxides. Think Calgon.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Boric acid leaks leave white crystals. I don't know about sea salt.

SteveElbows said:
Yes I was just going to say that as far as I know the torus is red, something stained this part of the torus white, and then something else washed off part of the white stain.

The photo from the other door shows the torus looking quite red, but the lighting isn't good so I wouldn't like to stretch this comparison too far.

I not know about the possible wrong location of that other photo, I haven't thought about it much but mis-labelling is always possible. I suspect that down is to the right of the photo, and that the 'floor' that can be seen in this direction is actually the water which has reached that level of the torus room (the same water we see in the stairwells). This water can hardly be seen but if you follow the wall downwards then it becomes visible to the eye.

Anyway they were in quite a rush when taking those photos due to the radiation, and the video from the reactor 2 mission suffered from lack of focus/plastic bag issues, so I don't think I will be able to piece much more together from the available footage, but I will watch the dreadful video again just in case.

No guarantee that the Japanese use the same paint scheme or coatings we use in US BWRs, but US BWR torus coatings I have seen are white. Consider the possibility that the paint/coatings could have been flaked off or affected by high torus temperatures and possible mechanical/hydraulic vibration during the accident.(SRV venting RPV to torus or boiling in the torus Or steam release from a torus containment failure into the torus room.) Rust Red may be what is left and the white sections are areas where the coating is still intact.

The silver piping in the first picture could be banded insulation on steam exhaust piping from HPCI or RCIC to the Torus.

The picture in the corner room is of the stair up to the "Mezzanine Level" The basement level would have the RHR and Core Spray Pumps. There would also be a RHR heat exchanger standing vertically from the basement to the mezzanine level, but I don't see it in that picture. The two pictures of the starwells show that the basement level of the corner rooms are partially flooded.

Last edited:
I tried to google some other suppression chamber pictures, and here is what I found:

http://net-news-jp.img.jugem.jp/20110327_2044919.jpg [Broken] This from a 27 March 2011 blog entry at http://net-news-jp.jugem.jp/?eid=1438 [Broken] . It looks like the construction work of a suppression chamber at Fukushima Daiichi or a similar plant. The caption on the screen says "unit 2: on the 15th there was an explosion/damage at the suppression chamber", so I guess this picture was provided by a television program as part of an explanation about the trouble at unit 2. The outer color is the same reddish-brown.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpgy9x_yyyyyyyy-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy_news [Broken] This is a television program explaining Tepcos' inspections to unit 2 and unit 3 suppression chambers on 14 March 2012. They have a nice 3D computer graphic showing the catwalk surrounding the torus and the accumulated water below. At 2:57, Junichi Matsumoto is saying "for example we may have a robot make a round trip on the catwalk so that we grasp the whole situation".

http://www.tepco.co.jp/fukushima1-np/b42112-j.html Visit of Ookuma and Futaba town officials at Fukushima Daiichi unit 1. Suppression chamber is seen in the bottom left picture.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/fukushima1-np/b13110-j.html Fukushima Daiichi unit 1 suppression chamber: bottom left

http://www.gengikyo.jp/topics/20011119a05.htm bottom left : a red colored suppression chamber at Shimane NPP

Last edited by a moderator:
tsutsuji said:
I tried to google some other suppression chamber pictures, and here is what I found: <..>

Thank you indeed. Also, in the Fukushima 1985 movie, at (about at the 4:00 mark), there is a brief section with a top down view of the torus during construction. To a chemist under the circumstances, that reddish color whispers: Pb3O4 pigment :)

tsutsuji said:
I tried to google some other suppression chamber pictures, and here is what I found:

http://net-news-jp.img.jugem.jp/20110327_2044919.jpg [Broken] This from a 27 March 2011 blog entry at http://net-news-jp.jugem.jp/?eid=1438 [Broken] . It looks like the construction work of a suppression chamber at Fukushima Daiichi or a similar plant. The caption on the screen says "unit 2: on the 15th there was an explosion/damage at the suppression chamber", so I guess this picture was provided by a television program as part of an explanation about the trouble at unit 2. The outer color is the same reddish-brown.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpgy9x_yyyyyyyy-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy_news [Broken] This is a television program explaining Tepcos' inspections to unit 2 and unit 3 suppression chambers on 14 March 2012. They have a nice 3D computer graphic showing the catwalk surrounding the torus and the accumulated water below. At 2:57, Junichi Matsumoto is saying "for example we may have a robot make a round trip on the catwalk so that we grasp the whole situation".

http://www.tepco.co.jp/fukushima1-np/b42112-j.html Visit of Ookuma and Futaba town officials at Fukushima Daiichi unit 1. Suppression chamber is seen in the bottom left picture.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/fukushima1-np/b13110-j.html Fukushima Daiichi unit 1 suppression chamber: bottom left

http://www.gengikyo.jp/topics/20011119a05.htm bottom left : a red colored suppression chamber at Shimane NPP

OK I'm convinced on the color. In that bottom left picture in the background you can see the silver insulated pipe labeled HPCI. So give me partial credit please.

you folks are amazing.

that's Synergy - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts !

MadderDoc said:
Thank you. Referring to the new images you link to, taken from through a doorway to the torus room (according to the handout that would be a door from the NE side of the torus):
120314_06.JPG has EXIF time 12:11:58, and
120314_07.JPG has EXIF time 12:12:11.

Then this photo, at:
http://photo.tepco.co.jp/library/120315/120315_01.jpg
would seem have been taken from through the very same doorway of the torus room: it has EXIF time 12:12:18.
But, this photo has been published as coming from the NW side of the torus room? So from which side of the torus have these photos actually been taken?

Also I am not quite sure what is up in this third photo.

As Steve indicated it seems to go this way (edit: doesn't it? Some of the pipe brackets seem quite funky in that alignmnent but dripmarks in the paint and other stains seemed to confirm the correct orientation) - very visible "tide marks" on what seems to be the S\C and the two pipes on the left. The white substance really has coated the torus with considerable consistancy. Could it be something has condensed on hotter parts like the outside of the torus? Looking at other items in that image seem to show very little dust\whiteness while torus is well coated except where it's damp. Could it be an oxidisation of the paint of the torus?

th_120315_01labelled.jpg

I have no idea if it's related but the white substance also reminds me of the white substance that appears on many surfaces over at RB 4 refuelling floor level. Like here which seems to be linked to the steam that was coming of the sfp and reactor void early on. Note the containment cap is coated mainly on the side adjacent to the reactor void where there was lots of steam happening.

th_Unit4RBL5whitesubstance.jpg
th_Unit4RBRPVVoid.jpg
th_snap0032011070112_30_32.jpg

Last edited:
westfield said:
th_120315_01labelled.jpg

I don't know about the others, but for this picture left/bottom corner, on the two shiny insulated pipes that's serious Al corrosion.

Ps.: I could not spot such corrosion on the SFP videos, but now I'm a bit worried about those racks.

Attachments

• dot3al3000_found_at_sea_external_corrosion_1.jpg
    dot3al3000_found_at_sea_external_corrosion_1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Rive said:
I don't know about the others, but for this picture left/bottom corner, on the two shiny insulated pipes that's serious Al corrosion.

Ps.: I could not spot such corrosion on the SFP videos, but now I'm a bit worried about those racks.

The appearance of the two pipes is odd isn't it - Is it corrosion or is it the same sort of white substance that has adhered to the torus?
Again, could heat\steam be a factor in creating the white substance on the two pipes or causing it to build up on the pipes?

Re debris on SFP racks - It's got to be at least plausable that most of it is concrete dust & other debris from the substantial demolition work going on over the top of RB4 SFP and reactor void lately. I know the SFP has some floaty covers on it but that sort of dust will get anywhere and everywhere.

westfield said:
I have no idea if it's related but the white substance also reminds me of the white substance that appears on many surfaces over at RB 4 refuelling floor level. Like here which seems to be linked to the steam that was coming of the sfp and reactor void early on. Note the containment cap is coated mainly on the side adjacent to the reactor void where there was lots of steam happening.

th_Unit4RBL5whitesubstance.jpg
th_Unit4RBRPVVoid.jpg
th_snap0032011070112_30_32.jpg

Im pretty sure that cream coloured stuff at reactor 4 is from the spraying of anti-scatter material that they did. They had two different sorts of this substance, the greenish version which we saw sprayed at lower levels, but when they did the reactor buildings they used the cream version.

SteveElbows said:
Im pretty sure that cream coloured stuff at reactor 4 is from the spraying of anti-scatter material that they did. They had two different sorts of this substance, the greenish version which we saw sprayed at lower levels, but when they did the reactor buildings they used the cream version.

They would spray that stuff into the SFP and reactor void but not the top of the containment cap there?

westfield said:
The appearance of the two pipes is odd isn't it - Is it corrosion or is it the same sort of white substance that has adhered to the torus?

Like Rive, I too perceive the stuff on the two shiny tubes as corrosion of aluminium, but of course I can't be sure based on just that photo. Edit: It would make sense to me if it is corrosion as well as deposition of the same sort, as that seen at the torus tide-lines.

westfield said:
Again, could heat\steam be a factor in creating the white substance on the two pipes or causing it to build up on the pipes?

I am not sure where you're at, temperature and humidity are factors in many chemical and physical processes indeed!

westfield said:
Re debris on SFP racks - It's got to be at least plausable that most of it is concrete dust & other debris from the substantial demolition work going on over the top of RB4 SFP and reactor void lately. <..>.

OT alert. Certainly there must be cement dust present in the pool, but that it should constitute most of the debris we've seen developing in SFP4 I don't think is plausible. I see numerous top tie plates which have grown a layer of debris of such magnitude that no detail whatsoever of the tie plate is visible -- and next close to them I see the position number coupons of the racks, which in no instance I've spotted anywhere in the videos have been obscured by any such debris.

Back on topic, the grey stuff on the Unit 2 torus. I imagine dust, and for example cement dust from time to time has settled on the torus, and likewise that steam and humidity must have been present from time to time to partly dissolve some of the cement dust, only to re-precipitate it while drying up running downwards along the side of the torus. That would over time build up to a matte layer on the surface, similar to what people experience in hard water areas.

Last edited:
westfield said:
They would spray that stuff into the SFP and reactor void but not the top of the containment cap there?

No. This was stuff that was sprayed liberally all over the buildings. There were some videos of it, and at the time it could also be seen on the TEPCO webcam. It was quite a long time ago now, but I remember it happening because I wasn't sure it if there would be any negative impact from spraying such substances all over everything.

They wouldn't deliberately want such stuff to go in the fuel pool or the reactor well, it was supposed to stop radioactive dust from being blown off the buildings etc.

Anyway there is no really obvious pathway that I can think of for lots of this stuff getting into reactor 2 torus room, and plenty of other candidates for what the white stains are caused by.

Meanwhile part 1 of the new borescope probe mission into reactor 2 drywell is due to happen in the coming hours, although the measurement of radiation isn't due to happen till the day after, and I am not sure how long it will take them to publish the results.

MadderDoc said:
<snip?

I am not sure where you're at, temperature and humidity are factors in many chemical and physical processes indeed!

<snip>

Back on topic, the grey stuff on the Unit 2 torus. I imagine dust, and for example cement dust from time to time has settled on the torus, and likewise that steam and humidity must have been present from time to time to partly dissolve some of the cement dust, only to re-precipitate it while drying up running downwards along the side of the torus. That would over time build up to a matte layer on the surface, similar to what people experience in hard water areas.

Well I was thinking along the same lines of some sort of deposition that came out of steam and condensed on the torus and the two pipes, but not cement dust, wouldn't that be streaky and inconsistant? I was wondering about salt or some other chemical in the water.

Alternatively in the case of the torus I was thinking of the possibility of oxidised "red lead" paint cause by heat inside the torus.

All heat related as you say.

I was curious as to how consistent the "coating" seems to be on the surface of the torus. It apprears to be a very evenly distributed deposit.

Leading on from that I'm pondering if there were high ambient temps in the torus room or just within the torus and if there are any clues in the images that might indicate the scale of the theorized RB2 S\C failure.

Was it a small leak from a valve\minor gasket in a flange or was it a massive failure of the torus? This is what I'm curious about in RB 2 ( along with the did it dry vent or not question)

So a question I have is - is there any likely substance in the water TEPCO used in the emergency that could leave the whitish deposits deposited via steam?

SteveElbows said:
<snip>

Anyway there is no really obvious pathway that I can think of for lots of this stuff getting into reactor 2 torus room, and plenty of other candidates for what the white stains are caused by.
<snip > .

I certainly wasn't suggesting that beige stuff they sprayed around could be in the torus room of RB2. You went there by yourself :)

In a sentence - I was wondering if there is something in the water tepco had used to cool everything (RB2 and the SFP of RB 4) that has precipitated out of the steam onto various surfaces leaving the whitish coating.

Edit: While I'm here, I apologise if I am doing to much thinking while I'm posting, all I can bring to this party is some years working as a fitter in the paper manufacturing and mining industries before I became a sound engineer. I'm looking for informed opinions which is why I love this forum.

Last edited:
So a question I have is - is there any likely substance in the water TEPCO used in the emergency that could leave the whitish deposits deposited via steam?

Perhaps Boric Acid , if it carried over .

It leaves a white coat. In quantity it looks like snow.

We sent them 17 tons of it early on.
http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123247390

BoricAcicUSAF_110317-F-EW887-052.jpg

westfield said:
Was it a small leak from a valve\minor gasket in a flange or was it a massive failure of the torus? This is what I'm curious about in RB 2 ( along with the did it dry vent or not question)

Well the initial exploration into the torus room seems to have lead them to conclude that there was a really massive failure, which is why in subsequent stories we see them leaning more towards damage to the top of the drywell than anything to do with the s/c.

But of course some S/C damage is still well possible, its mostly the explosive scenarios which have faded at this stage.

In recent posts I have tried to focus on the idea that its the fact they couldn't wet vent a lot of substances before containment failed that made reactor 2 such an environmental polluter, rather than the location of the containment damage being the key factor.

westfield said:
<..>
In a sentence - I was wondering if there is something in the water tepco had used to cool everything (RB2 and the SFP of RB 4) that has precipitated out of the steam onto various surfaces leaving the whitish coating.<..>

I can't think of any such thing.

I suggest the whitish coated area might coincide with upper facing surface areas of the torus which throughout events have been direct heat sources to the torus room atmosphere. That would be those areas of the torus outer surface which were left unflooded, unaffected by torus leaks, and happened to be close to the heat source(s) of the internal space of the torus.

Unlike the climate of the torus room generally (which must have been warm and humid) the climate at such areas of the torus wold have been hot and dry, favorable for deposition.

MadderDoc said:
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/news/110311/images/110412_1f_tsunami_6.jpg (This is the earliest dated photo I know of showing steam coming from Unit 2.)

I was just looking again through the well-known chapter 4 of the government report to the IAEA. ( http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/fukushima/japan-report/chapter-4.pdf [Broken] )

On page IV-66 there is a table of events and it has the following entry which fits quite nicely:

8:25 White smoke (seemed to be steam) was observed near the fifth floor of the reactor building.

SteveElbows said:
I was just looking again through the well-known chapter 4 of the government report to the IAEA. ( http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/fukushima/japan-report/chapter-4.pdf [Broken] )

On page IV-66 there is a table of events and it has the following entry which fits quite nicely:

8:25 White smoke (seemed to be steam) was observed near the fifth floor of the reactor building.

Yes, that fits nicely to the photo of the steam taken half an hour later, at 08:59.

Looking otoh at the image taken an hour earlier, with exif time 07:33, there is no sign of steam coming from unit 2:
110316_1f_chijou_2.jpg

IMO, judging from the visibility and direction of the plumes from unit 3 and 4,
a plume from unit 2 of a magnitude as shown in the photograph from 08:59
would have also been visible in the photo above from 07:33, if it had been present.

So, what we have is: no visible steam emission present at 07:33, steam first observed/reported at 08:25, and, clearly visible steam evolution present at 08:59.

clancy688 said:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00223131.2012.669237#preview "A scenario of large amount of radioactive materials discharge to the air from the Unit 2 reactor in the Fukushima Daiichi NPP accident"

Unfortunately it's behind a paywall.

Reading the summary, the author proposes a two stage release. First the suppression chamber (torus) fails due to either earthquake or hydrodynamic loads. This pathway is then open for release of the radioactivity being transported to the suppression chamber from the SRV valve operation.

The second stage is direct release from the drywell through failed electrical pentrations from high temperatures caused by corium outside the reactor vessel.

It sounds like he is assuming that the other units did not have the large early releases from the suppression pool and that explains the higher releases from unit 2. But that is based on reading only that first page.

Yes I agree that is what it sounds like he is saying.

Certainly both TEPCO and NISA accident analysis results had a problem where they could not get the model to give the same results for drywell pressure in the first days of the crisis as the actual measured pressure values were. This is why we got stories in the press a long time ago about assumptions of drywell and wet well leaks of a certain diameter, its what they fed into their model in order to get results that more closely matches the measured values. A lack of actual measured suppression chamber pressure before late on the 14th makes it hard to determine the reality of a s/c leak, but there is drywell pressure data for the period.

However I don't know what difference this assumption actually makes to radioactive release. As I understand it they were extremely concerned about the state of S/C by the time they wanted to open the SRV, since the RCIC water source had been changed to the S/C on the 12th, and they had doubts about the S/C ability to deal with the steam from SRV. They weren't concerned about it already being damaged, but rather the possibility of it failing once they opened SRV. The interim committee report covers this well, since the manager of the plant on site had a different idea about priorities compared to someone from the government/ministry. Site manager wanted to focus on wet venting first, due to fear of big containment failure, government man wanted to just get on with reactor depressurisation as the top priority. I will point to the specific page this is discussed later.

Anyway my point is that from the point of view of radioactive release, does it make any difference if the suppression chamber fails early on, or not till during or after the SRV opening? As you know I have found myself moving in the direction of the failure to vent being the main problem that sets reactor 2 apart from the others. Either because a failure to vet vent stopped some of the worst substances from being scrubbed, or because of the pressure the drywell was under when it failed. I don't know if the suppression chamber breaking actually makes much difference to this equation really, its loss of suppression function and inability to vent it seem more significant than whether it failed. And it wouldn't be surprising to learn that reactor 3's suppression chamber may also have failed, yet the consequences there seem a little different (or they were as bad but wind direction made it easier to underestimate releases from 3).

Perhaps you can help me with a question. Given that they switched the source of water for RCIC to the suppression chamber on March 12th, if the suppression chamber was damaged at the time what impact might we expect this to have on RCIC? This is the only remaining line of enquiry I can follow with currently available data & observations when trying to work out of s/c got damaged early.

Steve, I have written this elsewhere as well. I think I just had a minor brainwave.
I have been obsessed with how there could have been a dry venting at #2. I thought maybe the torus was cracked and lost all/most of its water.

What if it's simpler? What if one of the steam downcomers got cracked, ABOVE the water level? What TEPCO thought was a wet venting may have been a dry venting!

The SRV opens, the downcomer fails comprehensively (where it was just cracked beforehand) and what was a trickle of radioactive steam becomes an outpour, that somehow (perhaps even through the hardened vent) goes out into the atmosphere?

Well I think I know what you mean, but what I don't quite understand is your question 'how there could have been a dry venting at reactor 2'.

If there was no successful wet venting or dry venting at reactor 2, the high emissions and contamination can still be explained. We have no shortage of candidates for leaks in both the drywell and suppression chamber, or the links between the two.

So in many ways I don't think we are lacking all the pieces necessary to explain what happened, in fact we have too many pieces, we aren't sure which ones to rule out. I think the only thing we can rule out at this stage is an explosive event in the torus room that caused total devastation, but smaller events in that area are still well possible.

Certainly by the time they did the SRV release reactor 2 had been in a very bad state for hours, and they were very worried about the suppression chamber. The interim committee report makes it sound like part of the reason why they told the world that the explosive sound came from reactor 2 torus room area was because they were expecting trouble there.

I will post a timeline of some relevant events in a bit, as it may help when discussing this stuff.

An attempt at a timeline which does not cover every reactor 2 event, but mostly ones which are relevant to recent discussions:

March 12th 04:20-05:00 RCIC water source changed, now uses suppression chamber water.

March 12th 12:00 This is about the time that TEPCO modelling of the accident assumes a small drywell leak in order that their model results more closely match the drywell pressures that were recorded. This also explains why we see preparations for venting in a moment, they were expecting greater containment pressure than actually happened.

I also have a note that says a government report assumes that steam flowed from the S/C to the D/W as a result of RCIC using suppression chamber as a source.

March 12th 15:00 PCV vent valve opened 25%
March 12th 17:30 Told to prepare for PCV venting
March 12th 19:10 Ordered to close PCV vent as there was a concern about hydrogen building up in pipes in the period before pressure was high enough for rupture disc to go.

March 13th 08:10 PCV vent valve opened 25%
March 13th 10:15 Order to complete vent line path (except rupture disc)
March 13th 11:00 PCV vent line complete but rupture disc pressure not reached
March 13th 15:18 Estimates of potential radioactive release in the event of venting sent by company to authorities.

March 14th 04:30 First S/C pressure measurement taken, 0.476 MPa abs.
March 14th 07:00 First S/C water temperature taken, 146 degrees C.
March 14th 12:00 Water level measurement in reactor vessel starts to fall from about now
March 14th 13:25 RCIC judged to have failed as the water level has been declining for a while.

OK after this point a lot happens and its too much for one post, and I need to double check my facts. As you can already see from the above part of the timeline, there are a few places where there are possible conflicts with the timing or order of events mentioned in different source documents, and it doesn't get any easier as we head into the crucial hours at reactor 2. There are a variety of vent and SRV operations going on at times when failure of RPV or S/C are also possible, and part of the reason I tried to make one timeline was to see if any co-incidences of timing stuck out. But it seems I need to give myself more time to fully absorb the timeline as its probably quite easy to make a mistake.

SteveElbows said:
What I don't quite understand is your question 'how there could have been a dry venting at reactor 2'.

If there was no successful wet venting or dry venting at reactor 2, the high emissions and contamination can still be explained.

I have this notion that we should maybe think of the minimum necessary number of concurrent failures.

I like the idea of a small break in the steam downcomer (S/C side) because that vent path is the exact one intended by the operators - only it bypasses the water in the S/C.

zapperzero said:
I like the idea of a small break in the steam downcomer (S/C side) because that vent path is the exact one intended by the operators - only it bypasses the water in the S/C.

That would also explain why the rupture disk didn't fail. But wouldn't the operators still notice a drop in reactor pressure during the intended vent?

SteveElbows said:
<..>
March 14th 13:25 RCIC judged to have failed as the water level has been declining for a while.

OK after this point a lot happens <..>

Yes, certainly. :-) Looking at the radiation level from the Main gate of the plant:
Maingate.png

it demonstrates a major contamination event at about 21:30 on March the 14th, which brought the contamination at the main gate from the 0.01 mSv/h level to the 1 mSv/h level. Interestingly, this event tails into what appears to be a monotonous and rather swift decay phase, indicative that the deposited contamination included shortlived isotopes.

Then, in the morning hours of March 15th the down trend was interrupted by af further and even larger contamination event, which took the conditions at the main gate to the 10 mSv/h level. So, from the viewpoint of the main gate -- if unit 2 is to be considered a serious contender to the title of major culprit -- Unit 2 must necessarily claim responsibility for a major part of the massive contamination received at the main gate in the morning of March 15th.

Last edited:
zapperzero said:
I have this notion that we should maybe think of the minimum necessary number of concurrent failures.

We should also consider whether there was much water in the s/c by this point. It had been used as the RCIC water source for days by this point, and the temperature measured was well over 100 degrees C.

clancy688 said:
That would also explain why the rupture disk didn't fail. But wouldn't the operators still notice a drop in reactor pressure during the intended vent?

We don't actually know whether the rupture disc failed or not, as discussed a few pages ago on this thread.

The failure to see substantial pressure drops seems to be the main reason why they doubt the success of various venting attempts.

I will be studying the pressure data again more closely soon, especially as there is an interesting blip much earlier on, a very temporary drop in drywell pressure that may coincide with the March 12th vent preparation.

Last edited:
SteveElbows said:
<..>there is an interesting blip much earlier on, a very temporary drop in drywall pressure that may coincide with the March 12th vent preparation.

In it's context the blip appears suspiciously outlier-ish, and I believe I've seen it explained by Tepco as being coincident with the run-down and change of a battery used for measurements.

MadderDoc said:
Yes, certainly. :-) Looking at the radiation level from the Main gate of the plant:
Maingate.png

it demonstrates a major contamination event at about 21:30 on March the 14th, which brought the contamination at the main gate from the 0.01 mSv/h level to the 1 mSv/h level. Interestingly, this event tails into what appears to be a monotonous and rather swift decay phase, indicative that the deposited contamination included shortlived isotopes.

Im not quite ready to discuss this period in detail yet, but there are several events around this time which are of interest. My notes say that small S/C vent was temporarily opened at 21:00, 2 SRV opened at 21:20. There are not enough S/C pressure readings recorded at this point, but the S/C pressure measured at 22:50 is notably lower than it was at 04:30.

I'll ut this stuff into a more comprehensive timeline when I get the chance.

And we must remember to factor in the weather, since we know that on the evening of March 14th the wind direction changed so that stuff was no longer going out to sea.

SteveElbows said:
Im not quite ready to discuss this period in detail yet, but there are several events around this time which are of interest. My notes say that small S/C vent was temporarily opened at 21:00, 2 SRV opened at 21:20. There are not enough S/C pressure readings recorded at this point, but the S/C pressure measured at 22:50 is notably lower than it was at 04:30.

I'll ut this stuff into a more comprehensive timeline when I get the chance.

And we must remember to factor in the weather, since we know that on the evening of March 14th the wind direction changed so that stuff was no longer going out to sea.

The period before the evening of March 14th would seem irrelevant. Unit 2 can't claim to have vented large amounts of radioactivity, hidden by going seawards, during the period preceding its experiencing fuel damage.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What caused the difference in discharge from Unit 2 compared to Units 1 and 3 at Fukushima?</h2><p>The main difference in discharge from Unit 2 at Fukushima compared to Units 1 and 3 is due to the damage sustained by the reactor during the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. The damage to Unit 2 was more severe, leading to a higher level of contamination and a longer period of time needed for cleanup and decommissioning.</p><h2>2. Is the discharge from Unit 2 more dangerous than that of Units 1 and 3?</h2><p>The discharge from Unit 2 is not necessarily more dangerous than that of Units 1 and 3. The level of danger depends on the type and amount of radioactive material released, as well as the distance and duration of exposure. However, the damage to Unit 2 may make the cleanup process more challenging and time-consuming.</p><h2>3. How long will it take to clean up and decommission Unit 2 at Fukushima?</h2><p>The cleanup and decommissioning process for Unit 2 at Fukushima is estimated to take around 30-40 years. This is due to the higher level of contamination and damage to the reactor, which will require more extensive and careful measures to ensure the safety of workers and the surrounding environment.</p><h2>4. What measures are being taken to prevent future accidents at Fukushima?</h2><p>Since the 2011 disaster, the operators of the Fukushima plant have implemented various safety measures to prevent future accidents. This includes reinforcing the seawall to protect against tsunamis, installing backup generators and pumps, and improving the training and response protocols for workers in case of emergencies.</p><h2>5. Is it safe to live near the Fukushima plant now?</h2><p>The safety of living near the Fukushima plant depends on the level of contamination in the area. Currently, the Japanese government has lifted evacuation orders for some areas around the plant, but there are still restricted zones due to high levels of radiation. It is important for residents to follow safety guidelines and stay informed about any changes in the situation.</p>

1. What caused the difference in discharge from Unit 2 compared to Units 1 and 3 at Fukushima?

The main difference in discharge from Unit 2 at Fukushima compared to Units 1 and 3 is due to the damage sustained by the reactor during the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. The damage to Unit 2 was more severe, leading to a higher level of contamination and a longer period of time needed for cleanup and decommissioning.

2. Is the discharge from Unit 2 more dangerous than that of Units 1 and 3?

The discharge from Unit 2 is not necessarily more dangerous than that of Units 1 and 3. The level of danger depends on the type and amount of radioactive material released, as well as the distance and duration of exposure. However, the damage to Unit 2 may make the cleanup process more challenging and time-consuming.

3. How long will it take to clean up and decommission Unit 2 at Fukushima?

The cleanup and decommissioning process for Unit 2 at Fukushima is estimated to take around 30-40 years. This is due to the higher level of contamination and damage to the reactor, which will require more extensive and careful measures to ensure the safety of workers and the surrounding environment.

4. What measures are being taken to prevent future accidents at Fukushima?

Since the 2011 disaster, the operators of the Fukushima plant have implemented various safety measures to prevent future accidents. This includes reinforcing the seawall to protect against tsunamis, installing backup generators and pumps, and improving the training and response protocols for workers in case of emergencies.

5. Is it safe to live near the Fukushima plant now?

The safety of living near the Fukushima plant depends on the level of contamination in the area. Currently, the Japanese government has lifted evacuation orders for some areas around the plant, but there are still restricted zones due to high levels of radiation. It is important for residents to follow safety guidelines and stay informed about any changes in the situation.