Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Full body transplant

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1

bus

Hi there,
    I am recently become interested in full bodies transplants. I had a look on the internet and found that it is quite discussed about, so I was wondering if this is a topic that would be ok to discuss onto this forum. If so I will post my questions
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

If you want to discuss it here, then per the PF rules, you will need to cite mainstream, peer-reviewed scientific articles to start the discussion. A list of allowed journals can be found in the Rules link at the top of the page.

EDIT -- here are the links from the Rules:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jan 19, 2012 #3

bus

oh I see, thanks for that. I don't have any medical background, I just wanted to know a bit more about that, the possibilities and the problems that it would involve, and I thought I could find something here but I understand that I would need to support that with scientific evidence

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This discussion has been had before, feel free to use the search button on the top right.

Regarding your question no; we are nowhere near ever attempting a whole-body transplant for various reasons. We cannot keep the brain alive without a body, we cannot remove a brain without damage, you'd have to prevent rejection and we cannot reconnect all the nerve connections into and out of a brain (and I'm not sure that people are similar enough for this to work anyway). Off the top of my head those are the biggest and most obvious problems but I'm sure there are a lot more.

6. Jan 22, 2012 #5

bus

perfect thanks for that, and I will bear in mind next time I post something to support it with scientific evidence.
    regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook