Full Body Transplant: Questions & Discussion

• Medical
  • Thread starter bus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, The person asked if it was ok to discuss full body transplants on the forum, and was advised that they would need to cite mainstream, peer-reviewed scientific articles to start the discussion.
bus
Hi there,
I am recently become interested in full bodies transplants. I had a look on the internet and found that it is quite discussed about, so I was wondering if this is a topic that would be ok to discuss onto this forum. If so I will post my questions
thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
bus said:
Hi there,
I am recently become interested in full bodies transplants. I had a look on the internet and found that it is quite discussed about, so I was wondering if this is a topic that would be ok to discuss onto this forum. If so I will post my questions
thanks

Welcome to the PF.

If you want to discuss it here, then per the PF rules, you will need to cite mainstream, peer-reviewed scientific articles to start the discussion. A list of allowed journals can be found in the Rules link at the top of the page.

EDIT -- here are the links from the Rules:

PF Rules said:
A list of journals that may be used as academic references can be found at the following link:
http://scientific.thomson.com/index.html
If you have problems with the search feature, you can view the entire list here.
http://www.thomsonscientific.com/cgi...cgi?PC=MASTER

Last edited by a moderator:
oh I see, thanks for that. I don't have any medical background, I just wanted to know a bit more about that, the possibilities and the problems that it would involve, and I thought I could find something here but I understand that I would need to support that with scientific evidence

This discussion has been had before, feel free to use the search button on the top right.

Regarding your question no; we are nowhere near ever attempting a whole-body transplant for various reasons. We cannot keep the brain alive without a body, we cannot remove a brain without damage, you'd have to prevent rejection and we cannot reconnect all the nerve connections into and out of a brain (and I'm not sure that people are similar enough for this to work anyway). Off the top of my head those are the biggest and most obvious problems but I'm sure there are a lot more.

perfect thanks for that, and I will bear in mind next time I post something to support it with scientific evidence.
regards

1. What is a full body transplant?

A full body transplant, also known as a whole body transplant or a total body transplant, is a theoretical medical procedure in which a person's entire body is replaced with a new one. This would involve transplanting the head and brain of the patient onto a donor body.

2. Is a full body transplant currently possible?

No, a full body transplant is not currently possible. While there have been successful face and hand transplants, the technology and knowledge to perform a full body transplant does not yet exist. It is still in the realm of science fiction.

3. What are the potential benefits of a full body transplant?

If a full body transplant were to become a reality, it could potentially extend the lives of people with severe disabilities or terminal illnesses. It could also allow for the transfer of a person's consciousness to a new body, providing the opportunity for a longer life.

4. What are the ethical considerations surrounding full body transplants?

The concept of a full body transplant raises many ethical concerns. Some argue that it would go against the natural order of life and death, while others question the idea of transferring a person's consciousness to a new body. There are also concerns about the possibility of body rejection and the allocation of donor bodies.

5. What is the current research and development status of full body transplants?

While there have been some advances in the field of head and body transplantation, the technology and knowledge to perform a full body transplant is still in its early stages. Much more research and development is needed before a successful full body transplant can be achieved.