Full Course Load for Canadian Graduate Schools?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether Canadian graduate schools prioritize a full-course load in undergrad for admission into a master's program. Some medical schools require a full-course load for the best two years, but it is uncertain if this also applies to master's degrees. The individual sharing their experience got accepted into physics master's programs in Canada with 9 courses in their last year of undergrad. It is advised to check with the specific schools being applied to. The importance of painting a strong academic profile is also emphasized.
doublemint
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if Canadian graduate schools care about whether you have taken a year or two with a full-course load. By full-course load, I mean the maximum 10 courses per year compared to just doing 8 or 9 courses. I know that some Canadian medical schools require you to have a full-course load for the best 2 years, but was not sure if it also applies to a Masters Degree.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I did 9 courses in my last year of undergrad (in Canada), and got accepted to several physics master's programs (also in Canada).

You should check with the schools you'll be applying to.

doublemint said:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if Canadian graduate schools care about whether you have taken a year or two with a full-course load. By full-course load, I mean the maximum 10 courses per year compared to just doing 8 or 9 courses. I know that some Canadian medical schools require you to have a full-course load for the best 2 years, but was not sure if it also applies to a Masters Degree.

Thanks

It all depends on the picture you can paint of yourself. Taking a few light terms is fine as long as it doesn't create the impression that you took the path of least resistance through your whole undergrad career. That wouldn't look good to grad schools.

Thanks for the insight!

What is considered a full course load for Canadian graduate schools?

A full course load for Canadian graduate schools typically consists of 9-12 credit hours per semester, or 18-24 credit hours per academic year. However, the exact number may vary depending on the specific program and institution.

Are there any exceptions to a full course load for Canadian graduate schools?

Yes, there are some circumstances where a student may be able to take a reduced course load. This may include medical or personal reasons, or if the student is working full-time while pursuing their degree. It is important to check with the specific institution for their policies on reduced course loads.

Do online courses count towards a full course load for Canadian graduate schools?

Yes, most Canadian graduate schools consider online courses to be equivalent to traditional in-person courses and they can count towards a full course load. However, it is always best to check with the specific institution to confirm their policies.

Can international students take a reduced course load in Canadian graduate schools?

International students are generally required to maintain a full course load in order to maintain their student visa and stay in Canada. However, there may be exceptions for medical or personal reasons, and it is best to check with the institution and immigration authorities for more information.

What happens if a student cannot maintain a full course load in Canadian graduate schools?

If a student is unable to maintain a full course load, they may need to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the program. This can have implications for their student status, financial aid, and graduation timeline. It is important to communicate with the institution and seek guidance on the best course of action in this situation.