Full degree or just coursework?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it makes a difference to have a full math BS on paper or just several semesters of upper level math coursework when applying to graduate schools. The person is currently pursuing a BS in physics but is considering adding a math major. They are unsure if it will make a difference in their chances of getting into a grad school of their choice. Some believe that having a double major may give an advantage in theoretical physics studies, but it is not certain.
quasar_4
So I am currently working towards a BS in physics, but also am considering math at this point since I've taken far more than I needed for my math minor. But before I take the final classes (the one's I've been putting off because I'm not looking forward) I thought I'd ask: does it make any difference in applying to graduate schools whether I have the full math BS on paper, or will it be just as good to have several semesters of upper level math coursework on my transcript? I can finish the whole degree, but if it doesn't make a difference either way...

but I'm not sure about this. Anyone? :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
from what I've heard, your chances of getting into a grad school of your choice are unaffected whehter you do a single major or double major. I could be wrong though

All proffs keep mentioning how important pure math is for theoretical physics studies in grad school. I am doing it. If you do take it, it might put you at an advantage to your grad peers, and will probably give you a broader view of what higher physics is about.

1. What is the difference between a full degree and just coursework?

A full degree program typically includes both coursework and research, while a coursework-only program does not require a research component. This means that a full degree program may involve a thesis or dissertation, whereas a coursework-only program does not.

2. Which option is better for my career prospects?

It depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a research-oriented career, a full degree program may be more beneficial. However, if you are looking to enter the workforce immediately after graduation, a coursework-only program may be a better fit.

3. Is a full degree program more time-consuming than just coursework?

Yes, a full degree program typically takes longer to complete than a coursework-only program. This is because a full degree program involves both coursework and research, which can be a time-consuming process.

4. Are there any advantages to completing just coursework?

One advantage of completing just coursework is that it allows you to focus solely on your coursework and potentially graduate sooner. Additionally, if you are not interested in pursuing a research career, a coursework-only program may be a better fit for your goals.

5. Can I switch from a coursework-only program to a full degree program?

In some cases, it may be possible to switch from a coursework-only program to a full degree program. However, this will depend on the specific program and institution. It is best to consult with an academic advisor or program coordinator for more information about switching programs.