1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full-scale deflection?

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The needle of a moving coil meter gives a full-scale deflection for a current of 50uA. What current would give a full-scale deflection if the magnetic field weakened to 80% of its original value?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Decrease magnetic field => needle not deflected as much for a given current such as 50uA. A full-scale deflection now would result in 20% more current than before because of the 20% decrease in magnetic field. I assume the powers of magnetic strength and current are equal and unity. So now 50uA*1.2=60uA would result. However the answers suggested 63uA. Why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because "a 20% decrease" and a "20% increase" are not the inverse of each other.

0.8 times 1.2 = 0.96, not 1.0

Your basic idea about how to solve the problem is OK.
  4. Feb 4, 2007 #3
    That is good. It's liitle things like this that tests your mathematical intuition. For me, it's obviously not very good but I'm working on it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?