1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full-sized multicopter mass v acceleration help

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I really feel like this is something i shouldnt be struggling with, but I am attempting to build a full-size multicopter, capable of a gross weight of 300kg.

I have calculated the power needed to achieve vertical thrust working on an effective total rotor area of 5.6m2

Because the system is based on differential thrust controlling movement along all axes, the motors must be responsive to input. The proposal is to use eight DC electric 7kw motors (continuous rating).

My goal is to maximise rotor diameter in order to maximise range (battery weight constraints apply).

What I need to work out is the relationship between the mass of the rotor blade and the torque required to accelerate it. Then I can create a spreadsheet and find the point that i'm happy with.

Thankyou very much for any of your time

Louis

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted