Where can I find fully worked problems videos for math and physics?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Videos
In summary, these videos are great for those who want to learn on their own. They are not so great for those who want help with the problems right away.
DiracPool
Hello, I'm on a math and physics home study pilgrimmage and what I like the best are youtube-like videos where a physics or math problem is presented for you the viewer to work out while you pause the video, and then the presenter actually goes through the problem step by step. Like the guy at mathtutordvd.com, if anyone has seen him. He's great, but I've already gone through all his videos.

You'd think there would be a lot of these around, but actually there are not. The vast majority of instructional video's of, say, the Khan Academy type are simply tutorials on a given topic with perhaps a single worked problem as an example. What you don't get in many of these videos is a problem presented to you to work out first, or better yet a series of problems, and then a step by step explanation and full working through of the problem. Any references/links would be much appreciated.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this so please move thread if in wrong section. I am not allowed to post in the education materials section for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
What topics do you want it to cover?

PatrickJMT on youtube

micromass said:
What topics do you want it to cover?

It's not so much the topic as it is the format. I've included a couple example videos of what I'm talking about. Most instructional videos will give a tutorial on a subject/topic and will work you through perhaps only a single sample problem before moving on to the next topic, without giving you a chance to tackle a problem on your own before walking you through the solution. As we all know, the real learning comes from you doing a few problems yourself. This is what is missing from these you-tube like videos, and even the filmed class lectures.

But other than that, now I'm working mostly on multivariable calculus, linear algebra, DE's, classical and quantum physics.

Also, thanks for the PatrickJMT lead, DrummingAtom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1QwS1IKgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smUkiV2yc5U

I completely understand your frustration with the lack of fully worked problem videos in the realm of math and physics. It is crucial for students to not only understand the concepts but also be able to apply them to solve problems. I highly recommend looking into online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare or Coursera, which offer a variety of courses with video lectures and problem sets that can be worked through at your own pace. Additionally, you can search for specific topics on YouTube or other video platforms and filter the results to show only fully worked problem videos. It may take some digging, but there are definitely resources out there that cater to your preferred learning style. I also suggest reaching out to your local library or university for any recommended materials or workshops on problem-solving techniques. Best of luck on your home study journey!

1. What are fully worked problems videos?

Fully worked problems videos are instructional videos that demonstrate the step-by-step process of solving a specific problem or equation. They often include explanations and visual aids to help viewers understand the concepts and techniques used.

2. How can fully worked problems videos benefit students?

Fully worked problems videos can benefit students by providing them with a model for problem-solving and reinforcing their understanding of concepts. They can also help students prepare for exams and improve their grades.

3. Can fully worked problems videos be used for any subject?

Yes, fully worked problems videos can be used for a variety of subjects including math, science, engineering, and more. They are especially helpful for subjects that involve problem-solving and calculations.

4. Are fully worked problems videos a replacement for traditional teaching methods?

No, fully worked problems videos should be used as a supplement to traditional teaching methods. While they can be a useful tool for students, they cannot replace the guidance and instruction of a teacher.

5. Where can I find fully worked problems videos?

Fully worked problems videos can be found on educational websites, video-sharing platforms, and through online courses. Many textbooks also include links to online resources with fully worked problems.